A Cold Weather Gear Review

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Cannon06, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a cold weather gear review of what I wore recently in 20 degree, wet weather. I find that cold weather gear is the hardest to find accurate reviews on, and hardest to determine if you can justify spending the money:

Base layer: First Lite merino wool long sleeve lightweight. First Lite merino furnace bottoms.
    Mid layer: First Lite merino furnace sweater
    Outer layer: Nomad Harvester jacket and pants
    Boots: Muck knee high boots
    Socks: Darn Tough wool socks
    Gloves: Midweight generic brand fleece gloves
    Headwear: Heavyweight Carhartt fleece beanie with an Under Armour cold weather face mask
    Rain Gear: Cabelas brand, lightweight waterproof rain jacket and pants

I placed 4 stick on body warmers on my core, hand warmers in each jacket pocket, and stick on toe warmers on each sock. They were generic brand from the sporting good store, Grabber I believe. Super Warmers from Hot Hands work better in my experience. The midweight gloves kept in pockets with warmers was plenty good.

Overall, I was plenty warm with the warmers. The ones on the body took the chill off, as I was mostly stationary in a tree stand. Muck boots with toe warmers were more than enough to not have cold feet. The merino was great at keeping my body warmth trapped, and didn't stay moist after I sweat walking to my stand. After a 5 hour sit, I was plenty comfortable and never got the shakes. The Nomad jacket and pants were plenty thick and quiet while moving. You need a good base and mid layer in weather that cold, but everything put together the Nomad stuff worked well. It rained most of the morning, and eventually my Cabelas brand rain gear got damp inside and did not repel great after it was soaked. It would be fine in a light rain for a couple hours, but anything more than that I would not recommend them. The beanie and face mask worked well in this temperature range.

Wop 75, Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    did you wear any kind of neck gaiter?

3. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The face mask went down over my neck, kept the wind from getting into my system. Worked just fine.