911......Where Were You?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Tony, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At SWAT training. They scrambled us and we were on alert for the next several days. I remember AF1 flew over Wright Patterson AFB. Prior to them getting in the airspace, a couple jets flew over and made 2 sonic booms. Scared the hell out of us and everyone in the county. We started getting calls of bombs and planes down. Scary situation but I'm proud to say our entire team was ready to fight.

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was a senior in college and I woke up after leaving the TV on the night before. I saw something flash across the screen and found the first news station. I think I sat there and watched it for about an hour before I did or said anything. The college I went to was less than an hour from where the plane went down in PA and the college closed for a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At work. My father was supposed to be on the plane tht crashed into the pentagon. But the night before him and his boss changed plans and went else where. His boss would have been on the one that hit the world trade tower. My father still holds on to the ticket, he has it sitting in his book case in his den at home.

4. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was at my aunt's house in Denver, getting ready to leave for the airport to fly home from my cousin's wedding. Had my wife and 3 month old daughter. I turned on SportsCenter and after a few minutes they cut away to the news. I watched the second plane hit, and about the time we saw the Pentagon had been hit, we decided we weren't flying out that day. Just after the towers collapsed, we got in the rental car and drove 700 miles home. I remember the miles-long traffic backup (on the other side of the highway) at the exit for Ft. Riley. The next day I took the rental car back to Midway airport in Chicago, and picked up my car - fortunately I had parked in an off-site lot because they were not letting anyone into the airport area. The line at the Hertz location where I turned in the car went out the door and down the block. They were so happy to get a car in they waived the fee for turning the car in at a different place than I had rented it from.

5. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    10th grade Spanish class. We watched tv the rest of the day without saying a word.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was riding past the airport in Raleigh, NC on I-40. A plane was flying over landing at RDU. I said to myself, "What would I do if a plane crashed near me. Should I keep going or just jump out and run the other way." Just thinking about crazy things. Less than a minute later my Mom called me. She asked me was I still in New York. She knew I was in New York that weekend before. I told her I came back that Sunday night. I told her I was driving through Raleigh. She said someone flew a plane into the World Trade Center. While I was talking to her she said Oh My God, they flew another one into the other building and whoever did it tried to cut the building in half. I told her I needed to call my best friends that Lived outside of the Bronx and I would call her back. I reached him and he said he and his family was ok. I remember it like it was yesterday!

7. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was on my way to work when the news was announced that a plane had hit the first tower. The first report was that it was a small plane. By the time I got to the office, everyone was huddled around the radio, we didn't have a TV. I didn't see any news footage until I got home that night. It doesn't seem like its been 13 years since that day.

8. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the first grade in NYC. I still remember my school shutting down and my mother coming to pick me up while my brother was not allowed to leave his school then watching everything that happen on the news for the next few weeks to come. My father also came home early that day even though he works in a hospital, he witnessed the planes going into the tower. Such a shame what happened.

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was in 2nd grade I believe, I don't remember what exactly I was doing because they didn't let us watch it because we were so young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow!!

11. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sophmore year tech ed class. Someone in the school office made an announcement over the loud speaker. The rest of the day was spend watching the tv in all my classes.

12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    5th grade class room. Sad sad day. It seems so long ago but feels like it happened yesterday.

13. MNhuntingRube

MNhuntingRube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was a junior in college. College roommate woke me up yelling we are getting bombed, we are going to war. Then me and my five other roommates watched the news in silence as the second tower fell. I went to class and the professor told us all to go home that sometimes other things were more important than Math Class. My roommates and I felt we had to do something so we ran out to Walmart and bought the biggest flag we could find and put it up outside or our house.

14. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in 5 year old kindergarten but remember that they turned the tv on the news and both teachers just sat there silently watching it.

15. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ft. Benning Ga, I was in week 2 of basic training. Drill Sergeant said we were under attack, being new recruits, we thought they were messing with us. The guy I bunked with had a family that worked as janitors in one of the towers. Luckily all of his family were fine. After the days fun filled activities they rolled out a TV and showed us some of the news; then proceed to smoke the piss out of us and inform us that the taliban was going to get us. I graduated Dec 6, 2001, I was in Afghanistan in late January with the 187 Infantry Regt.

16. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was living just outside Dallas and I was in my car on the way to work. I was actually stopped at a red light at Marsh & Midway Ave. Running late I arrived and was the only one in the entire office that knew anything was going on. Ended up spending the entire morning in the conference room watching the news before going home at lunch for the rest of the day.

17. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was living in Western PA, Had just gotten off of active duty Army, settling into civilian life. I was an Autocad Operator for a land surveying company. Wifey number one worked for the PA state police and called me, telling me what was going on, i was on the phone with her when it came across the police radio that a plane just crashed in shanksville. I hung up with her, to tell my boss and co-worker what was going on (small 3 man business) they got up and went across the street to the guys house to watch TV, and made me stay and answer phones with no radio or anything. an hour later i got a call from my reserve unit asking me to come to the armory and pull guard duty. I spent the next 18 hours pulling guard duty with a loaded M16, My then wife brought me up a birthday cake later in the evening, and we just sat and talked about everything.

18. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    7th grade switching between classes.

19. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was about 6 months into my first real sales job in Harrisburg, PA. Every morning I blocked the first two hours of the day off to make cold calls and build my pipeline.

On one of my calls, a prospect told me about planes hitting a building in NY. We then turned on the radio and listened for a while, and then one of the other sales guys that lived close ran home and got a TV to bring into the office so we could watch the news.

Our sales manager at the time was a cold hearted slave driver that just didn't care about his people. He was yelling at us about getting back on the phones. I got into an argument with him about how people aren't going to want to recieve a sales pitch while this was going on. I'll never forget thinking to myself at that time that I'd never be that type of a manager if I ever had a chance to move into a leadership position.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  20. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was at a previous job and the power had gone out for about an hour. When the power came back on so did a coworkers radio. With the whole shop quiet since the machines were shut off because of the outage, the only noise in the shop was the radio which was the same time the news started coming out about it.