8020 of bowhunting deer

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by taiden, Jan 3, 2016.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My personal opinion is they aren't something I'd recommend. Especially so to prospective bowhunter as a first experience with bowhunting and who is uncertain what they are looking at/for.

^^^^Exactly.

2. taiden

taiden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the help!

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Archery is fun and we all want to make sure that it is a pleasant experience for you.

An ill fit bow is not fun.
    Thus you won't shoot, you won't get better and you will drop out without having a good feeling toward a great sport!

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And to make matters worse, poorly fit bows make poor shots which make a lot of wounded and unrecovered animals which leads to animal rights activists having more ammo to use. Also if a mountain lion or a wolf comes in to your tree stand location, I'd hate to hear you missed a shot.

5. taiden

taiden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That all makes sense. I asked around and got a lead on a small hole-in-the-wall shop that guys around here seem to like. It's an appointment only type of place. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for being patient and persistent!

6. llbts1

llbts1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You got some great advice here.
    My local shop bends over backwards to make sure their customers are comfortable and that the bow is the right fit. You can try out any and every bow they have on the shelf. They want you to enjoy and be successful at archery.
    After your experience with that shop, you really need to try another one or two, even if you have to drive a ways. It would be worth it. If your going to spend $700.-$1000. to get set up, you want to get it right. For me, the shop is kind of like the bow, it may fit me or it may not, and if not, I move on and try another. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016