Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

8 Toms In Our Yard

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by chieffan, Feb 14, 2018.

1. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No timber close to the house but these 8 came down along a fence line along a dirt road and bean field. Got to our fence line about 30 yd from the house, worked East about 30 yd then headed North across our yard. Last saw them running across open CRP heading North Northwest for the closets timber that is about 500 yds away. First ones I have seen since last fall deer hunting. Season is about 2 months away yet but getting anxious.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I let the dogs out on them, ugly damn birds.

3. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some sportsman you are Sota.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No I hate the damn turkeys they get all kinds of feed but I have no need for them. The little yappers go crazy when they see them I can either listen to 20 minutes of barking from 3 dogs or get it over with, what would you do?

5. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My little house dog only barks a bit at deer but does a lot of low growling. Just watched and low growls at the turkeys last evening. They can be trained. When you say little yappers I take it your referring to hose dogs. They are good eating too, unless your not a foul eater. Bet you have fun watching the turkeys make a fool out of the dogs anyway. And they keep coming back.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You know the old saying if you have 1 dog you have 1 good dog more than that you have no good dogs. They are well behaved but they bark hell if one is at the front door and sees something and barks a dog two rooms away starts barking without knowing what the hell it is barking about. Funny thing is they only bark at turkeys and if there are 4 squirrels at the feeder, 4 squirrels and I let them out to chase. But they go nuts over turkeys probably because they would rather run than fly.

7. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About the time we think we have a dog figured out they throw a curve at us. Have a Pyrenees cross to protect our pygmy goats in a small pasture. He keeps the coyote's their distance but, he likes to chase deer so really have to watch him when he is out and about. Once he takes the second step after a deer there is no stopping him. Fun fun.