60lb limbs on Samick Sage

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Artem256, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got in a set of 60lb limbs for my Samick sage, and the upper limb even after tightening the screw wiggles and is loose unlike the lower one. Using a rubber band coiled around the “plug” near the grip of the screw eliminated the wiggle. Is wiggle normal on a Sage, and is rigging it with say a O ring to stop wiggle safe? Or should I say F it and send them back?

2. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well the o-rings seem to work. Oh man is this bow MEAN now. Had to use the side of my target because through the front the arrows were going in all the way to the nock! Lol

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    out of curiosity, what weight compound did/would you pull? I am thinking about getting into trad and I don't want to jump in way under or over weight.

Artem256 likes this.
  4. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The compound I was shooting at 55lb when I got the 45lb recurve. Until the string got damaged, i had upped it to 60lbs. I would try going 10-15 lbs (depending) lower than the usual compound draw weight, as there is no let off. Especially if youre using finger draw vs release. To me a release allows higher draw weight than finger draw, even with a glove. But I have no facts to back that up, just experience. Draw a recurve at a chosen weight, and hold full draw for a few seconds, if the muscle start to shake it might be too much. One good thing about a takedown, as you grow, add heavier limbs more cheaply than a entire new bow.

duckman1911 likes this.
  5. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For hunting ?
    Otherwise, I would see no point in 60#.
    My compounds draw 50...55#, my recurve (a Samick Lightning I shoot occasionally) only 30#. For target/3D, you can reduce arrow weight at will.

Take care not to overtax your joints, tendons and muscles with high draw weights. It might take months for problems to show up.

Artem256 likes this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yes for hunting. I pull 70# compounds easy. I don't want to overdo anything but I also don't want to underdo it either. I'll probably be shooting Carbon Express Piledrivers at around 600gr TAW.

I used to shoot with a glove back before releases; so I figure I'll go that route again. Even with my release and compound I usually hunt with thin Mechanix gloves on anyway so that will feel natural.

Artem256 likes this.
  7. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My compound and recurve draw weight are a bit more apart.
    Not sure about the Sage riser, it is more in the affordable price range.
    I know of other risers (Ragim, in particular) that tend to break at upper limit poundages.
    I have one too - with only 18#, for my daughter ...

Artem256 and dnoodles like this.
  8. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am building up to warbow draw strength (80lb+) pretty much for the challenge of it. Sure higher poundages helps for larger game and longer ranges(depending), but Im doing building draw strength for the sake of doing it. Built up from a 45lb recurve, to a 50lb mongolian, then a 55 lb longbow, now the 60lb recurve. Its one hell of a rush each rung you climb up. I am watching what my muscles and such are telling me, taking days off when they say its good to.

9. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The sage maxes out at 60, and Im not going to try to push that riser beyond what samick has maxed for it. When I outgrow the 60 samick then ill just have to bite the bullet, and upgrade to a entire new bow designed for 60+. However itll be a while before that happens.

10. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Btw Im actually loving how my shoulders feel since Ive been shooting the bow, unlike the shoulder press at the gym, my shoulders finally stopped clicking after using the bows. My back is feeling more solid, my whole body just has been feeling guuuudddd