6 year buck drought ended

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Lastoneout, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The last time I killed a buck was 2014. Since that time I did four years and three deployments as a Marine and went through a police academy.

I did my fair share of hunting during all of this when I could and even killed a handful of does. But buck wise I was waiting for one that I would put on the wall, I was being picky.

This was the first year I was able to put out cameras and actually scout and actually formulate some kind of plan.

Since I had leave accrued I took off 11/2-11/26 in hopes of killing a buck.

On 11/2 my rutcation started. I worked a 12 hr shift and then drove to MD for an evening hunt. Saw a boat load of does and small buck rut activity.

11/3 AM I went to a different property and sat on a hill top in 15-20mph winds in 30 degree weather... it was a good time, but a saw a bunch of deer and more small buck rut activity.

11/3 PM Move back to property me and buddy hunting “drop” who is a double drop tine buck on a 200 acre property. On had specific stands I had set for my rutcation, but opted to hang and hunt with the LW. I set up on a long oak ridge which drops into a country that connects to long ridges. My buddy was on the ridge across the road. I ended up seeing about 12 does a nice six point buck and half rack 4 point that was a stud shooter but lost half of his rack in a presumably a fight. All the bucks I saw ultimately took a trial that was on the hill side 100 or so yards away. So when I climbed down I moved my LW accordingly for a morning hunt.

11/4 AM lots of does ... boom I see a group of does working my way and catch rack with it. I saw him and knew which buck it was (one I ended up shooting) so I stand and prepare to kill he comes closer and I see he is hot on a doe and between 35-40 yds out with not much of any windows, I drew but didn’t attempt to stop him. He runs by that’s it.

11/4 PM 6 does, 1 4 point, 15 turkeys, 65-70 degrees, bugs, gross. Again in the same tree as AM realize I need to move to a different tree to connect on that trail. But it’s also my last day in MD and I have court in the morning in Virginia. To bad.

11/4 PM I get a call so and so tested positive for COVID, have you had any contact with them. Well yes I had a call with them on Saturday and afterwards we took off PPE and chatted. BAM 14 day quarantine, no more court.

11/5 AM went to the tree I had been eyeing from my tree on 11/4. It was a split trunk and had 2 trials to the left and one trail to the right which the buck had been using. I wore to much clothes the tree had way more branches up close and was a PITA to climb I get up and set by 545 sweating. Pull my bow nock arrow strobing nock goes off. I pull another arrow out of the quiver and use point to turn off nock. Drop my quiver now I have one arrow. I sit and wait.

0620ish I here walking behind me. I slowly turn and see rack to my right on the “buck” trial. I keep watching in my peripheral’s as he walks down the trial. My intent was to let him pass and hit him quartering away should I deem him a shooter.

He however reaches my tree and starts getting nervous, looking around etc. He the cuts sharp up hill and walks directly behind me his body boardside to my tree. He then faces dead away from me. I immediately stand up and draw and wait for him to move he then took a few steps to his left... boom now he is quartering away. I send it my nock does not light but I see it hit home and my arrow stick in the opposite shoulder. He runs pretty much right down a cliff face and I hear him crash and thrash around. I then make a phone call for drag help.

My buddy arrives I climb down start tracking boom. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one, congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lastoneout likes this.
  3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Way to get it done.

Lastoneout likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's so cool! I was going to ask you if that was a MD Buck. Great job!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lastoneout likes this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome congrats man

Lastoneout likes this.
  6. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck brother, Happy Early Marine Corps Birthday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lastoneout likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Strong work, congrats!

Lastoneout likes this.
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice story of the hunt.

Lastoneout likes this.