50# bow set up?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Kw870, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Kw870

Kw870 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guy's I need to set up my mission ballistic from a 65# to 50# hunting set up and need some opinions on arrow and broadheads. Fixed or mechanical? I shoot carbon x blue streak 250 with a 100 grain t5g3 mechanical I think it would be at 50# but not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

2. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Flatline 6.5's would be outstanding, IMHO. 100 grain Grim Reapers work great with that arrow and poundage... good luck

3. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2nd to Grim Reapers. My wife pulls about 48# out of her chill sdx and gets ample pass through with Reapers. Couple that with an easton Axis and you're good to go. Of course the Blue Rz arrows would work too.

4. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's your draw length? Any bow less then 62 pounds you have to stick with mechanical broad heads. I shoot at 55 pounds with a 28 inch draw length. I recommend a 400 grain arrow and a 100 grain fixed broad head. I use G5 strikers or montecs.

5. Kw870

Kw870 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you gentlemen! I'm a 28" draw length and was thinking I would have to switch over to fixed broad heads. Unfortunately a injury forced me to switch this set up. I'll be great full to just have the season, thank you for input

6. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about the injury, but you'll be fine. I have shot multiple deer at 50 lbs and a 28" DL. What bow you shooting? I got 300 fps out of my destroyer at 50 lb, flat line 6.5's....

7. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will be fine. It's all about practice and shot location. If you hit the heart that deer is dead no matter what you shoot!

8. DaveinJax

DaveinJax Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot quite a few deer with Grim reaper hybrids and had no problems with pass throughs with a 55LB draw. The 2 fixed blades do the initial cutting and the 2 mechanicals open it all the way up. They fly great and are very durable even when shot through bones which i have also done with the hybrids.