5 Birds in 3 Days - Epic Beat Down in Kansas and Nebraska. All Head Shots.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by DEC, Apr 16, 2018.

1. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thought I would share the beat down from earlier last week. I made my annual trip to hunt Kansas with my buddy Matt and then went up to Nebraska for some hunting on a new property that I found. Needless to day it was a crazy three days of hunting with five birds put down in three days of hunting. I left Nebraska early due to storms rolling in or a sixth bird would have been put down.

I put one bird down on Monday right out of the gate, as we pulled a pair of toms from over 500 yards away off of a big group of hens. They saw that White Face Strutter from DSD from 500+ yards and it was game over. They ran almost the entire way to my setup. I tried to double with one shot, but ended up with just one bird who had severe beard rot, but 1 3/8" sharp spurs.

I put a second bird down on Tuesday mid morning, after missing a chip shot at him earlier. There were just too many eyes. At one point we had 40+ hens and 5 toms all in an area from 3 yards to 30 yards in front of us. Kansas is just nuts. I finally got a nice shot at him at 20 yards in full strut and dropped him in his tracks. Matt put down his bird a couple hours later on a crazy walking away shot, after he had missed a chip shot at the same bird just minutes before.

On Wednesday morning, I made my way to northern Nebraska on the Missouri River. I had to run into South Dakota for lunch and gas then return to the the state. Less than 3 hours after returning to Nebraska I doubled on a pair of nice toms. These toms showed up about 90 minutes into my first sit and strutted/gobbled at 300 yards out for about 30 minutes. Then all of the sudden they dropped out of strut and ran to the new DSD Motion Mating Pair setup. At 7 yards I dropped the first and then immediately followed up and shot his buddy at 8 yards. All done with a few hours left for pictures and to enjoy a few cold ones watching the sun set.

If you are into vids ... here are the two states of hunts. Multiple camera angles and head chops! I am already looking forward to 2019!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

Great photos too!

3. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some short 60 second "Instagram" edits if anyone doesn't want to watch the full videos. In today's busy and get to the point world, I am finding that these 60 second videos are popular. And they cut to the chase ... LOL.