Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

4x2 Do you shoot or pass?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Jul 24, 2023.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have several 2 and 3 year old bucks on camera but nothing amazing, at least yet.
    We keep getting this 4x2 on camera over and over again. He likes apples and gets on camera on all corners of the property.

Will that side come back to match next year or will he be a fork on that side for now on?

Thoughts would be to try to target him late season after I (hopefully) get my buck (for the contest) in Oct Nov

Attached Files:

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I can’t speculate as to whether or not his right side will match his left next year or in years to come.

There are quite a few hunters on here that would be thrilled to kill him and there are many that wouldn’t even reach for their bow if they saw him coming.

Me personally? I’d shoot him and be proud to do so.

When I first started participating in the contest I let some bucks walk that I’d have been happy to shoot thinking I could put more points on the board. Hey, if I didn’t kill a bigger one I could always kill one of my smaller bucks, right?

You already know how that ended for me. No buck on the scorecard at all.

If I see a buck that I’d be happy with I’ll shoot him, post him on the scorecard and I won’t give a second thought to what anyone else thinks about it.

In my opinion, when it comes to hunting it’s all about what you want to do, not what you think others will think of you when you do it. Provided it’s legal, of course. :lol:

3. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has he ever been anything other than what he is now?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

4. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    no idea, I don't have enough data to know he was a small basket last year, and as I type I remember I did have a 2x1 a year or two ago, where the spike side was really tall and kind of flattened. I don't think I saved any pictures of that little buck but I saw him from stand a bunch.

5. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    as long as its legal..... in the Missouri County I hunt we do have an antler restriction and several years ago while hiking back out of the woods I came across a mature 3x3 that had been hit by a car, made it to a dry creek bed in our property and laid down waiting to die.
    I shot him because his back end up open, could smell it, and he was just going to get eaten alive by coyotes that night. He technically was not a legal deer as a 3x3 but I would wager he was at least 5 years old - probably more. Old mature deer, his euro in on the wall of our cabin to this day. -- circled in red

Attached Files:

oldnotdead, cantexian and LittleChief like this.
  6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen several bucks through the years that have gone "backward" in antler development one year only to spring forward the next. And I've also seen the opposite. IMO it's impossible to predict what may happen to a deer's rack as they age. There are just too many factors that can't be controlled or predicted in the wild. Drought, winter weather conditions, injuries, food sources, etc.

For me, it's never really been about the size of the rack so much as it is about the age and history with the deer. I'll be chasing an 8-year-old buck this fall that probably won't score 120 inches. But that certainly isn't going to deter me from trying to shoot him!

Vols5151, ash d, MUDSHARK and 3 others like this.
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very personal question that only you can answer to shoot or not. I've seen the same thing with deer antlers changing from year to year. Very hard to tell what he might do from year to year.

For me I would shoot him if I didn't have any other options that were better. If I did have better deer, I would definitely pass just see what he might become. Never know.

More and more as I getting more seasoned as a hunter, just enjoy shooting deer. Of course if I stumble into a big one, I'm going to give it my full attention.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he is that big in mid-July, he will be bigger by the time he sheds and season opens. Personally, I would kill him for the simple fact that you don't often see antler configurations like that in white-tails. Uneven racks like that occur more often in mule deer, so I would probably pass him if he was mulie. But, I like weird racks and I cannot lie.

oldnotdead and LittleChief like this.
  9. Chase

Chase Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Public ground; heck yeah, on opening day. After that for me, it comes down to how the season has gone, cameras, what the sign looks like and the tag situation. He comes up to 30 yards, I’m likely sending it whether public or private. I don’t have enough on the wall to get picky just yet and it’s not that important to me. Way I see it, I stick his skull on the wall and get to tell the story while chompin on his backstrap…win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

cantexian and LittleChief like this.
  10. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've learned to never say "never".
    My time/$ /weather dictates what I kill.

11. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t know what he could turn into, I’ve had wonky bucks that go back to normal frame the following year. When I decide to shoot a deer it’s situational and how I feel in that moment. If I get fired up I shoot em. I try not to go after specific deer, even tho I do get wrapped up into that from time to time.

12. Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Mass or CT with multiple buck tags. Ya he is dead.

ash d likes this.
  13. Robbie66

Robbie66 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If he is the best you got. Shoot him. If you have others. Let him walk.

14. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably shooting that deer because he's mature and unique. You'll always remember that 6 pointer!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ash d and Robbie66 like this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You'll know when you see him from the stand.

Robbie66 likes this.
  16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pass everywhere.

dnoodles likes this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you enjoy venison or trying to impress somebody? It all depends.

Robbie66 and NebMo Hunter like this.
  18. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That joker came my way I’m letting the arrow fly, I’ve shot bigger bucks and smaller bucks. I’d be happy with that one.

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I want to say I would pass it but in the moment an arrow would be launched I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    @trial153 may be a bit over the top on this one, but I kind of agree.
    If you are asking, that means you are a hunter that is at least thinking about being discretionary on what you shoot. So I am approaching this with that in mind.

That deer looks kind of young to me. 2.5 - 3.5. He's got a really nice rack for that age, regardless of malformity.
    Next year, even if the one side is lower than the other, should score pretty nice. Like 20-40" better than he is now.

Not knowing what your previous history is (maybe you have multiple 140s on the wall?) where you hunt, public./private, etc - taking into the fact you are considering being discretionary- I would let him walk. He might go 120 this year as a young buck, he could easily go 140+ next year.