4K/HD Video Camcorder Recommendations

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Team Haastyle, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to get recommendations for a new video camera for filming my hunts. Back when I filmed for my hunting show (Haastyle Hunting) I was thick into the old Mini DV tapes with my Canon XHA1, but obviously that got outdated quickly once SD cards became big. I transitioned to a Canon Rebel T6i so I could take both video and also photograph items for my business and also my family. However, the DSLR has been a big pain as far as solo filming goes so just curious as to what guys are using for videoing.

Needs/Wants
    - HD/4K quality video
    - Shoe adapter for lights and/or microphones
    - Adapter plugin for Vari-zoom Rocker switch
    - Multiple SD slots
    - Great battery life
    - Resilience in cold weather
    - Price under $1,500 would be ideal

Thanks in advance guys!

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Sony ax33 seems to be a popular choice for many guys on social media but im a cannon guy. The vixia line. I have an HFG20 and an HFG30 which I dropped out of the tree this last season and broke it. The quote to repair was so high I decided to just buy a new camera. I'm waiting on a delivery of a Cannon HFG50 to arrive today. The HFG50 is 4k and I'm wondering what kind of nightmare I just got myself into. I decided to stay with cannon because all my accessories will work with the g50.... mic's...remote operation...plus I already know the operation of the camera controls as all the Vixia line cams basically operate the same just with more features as you go up the line. The 4K is what has me worried. I have an older computer and 4k files are huge. Don't know if my lil Mac 12 yr old desktop can handle it. Also my editing program is not capable of processing 4k so now I need to learn a new editing software.... Lets add on new 2000TB external hard drive storage to handle all this new huge file footage. All to show myself and 6 pals my hunting and fishing adventures. The G50 has everything listed in your wants needs list but unless you already have the accessories it will be hundreds or thousands more. I suppose if my editing equipment cant handle 4k I can just edit in 1080p to save a fortune. The camera video filming hunts is by no means cheap. And the dedication to carry all the extra gear needed to film everyday especially if your not seeing game can be depressing but....if you love it you love it. Ive been filming about 8 yrs now. This was shot using the HFG30.

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have 3 of the Canon G50s and a Panasonic HC-X2000, the Panasonic is the better camera but it’s also twice as expensive. We’ve filmed an unreal amount of stuff with them over the years and they’ve done a great job but we are looking into mirrorless cameras for the future ourselves.

An example of a G50 video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk