4 Years Of Bowhunting For A Buck I Call Lucky On Video

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lady Forge, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To tell the story of a buck I called Lucky I will have to go back a bit in time.

The fall of 2010 found me once again bow hunting at Robert Allerton Park ( an over 1,500 acre park ) in Piatt County Illinois. I had begun bowhunting at the park in I belive it was 2005 .

In 2010 I was one of 35 bow hunters permitted to bowhunt on a herd reduction bow hunt a Robert Allerton Park. A small bit of history about the park and its Herd Reduction Bowhunt info.

http://allerton.illinois.edu/
    " In 1946, Robert Allerton moved to Kauai and initiated the first major gift ever given to the University of Illinois. He gave The Farms to the University for use as “an educational and research center, as a forest and wildlife and plantlife reserve, as an example of landscape architecture, and as a public park.” He also committed the income from 3,600 acres of farmland for the Park’s care. Concurrently, 250 additional acres of land within the estate’s boundaries were given to establish the Illinois 4-H Memorial Camp.
    One of the Seven Wonders of Illinois, The Park consists of over 1,500 acres, including the Sangamon River, floodplains, lowland and upland forests, a meadow, a 30-acre demonstration prairie and over 14 miles of hiking trails.
    Allerton Park has long been recognized as one of Illinois’ most significant natural areas. It is located in the Grand Prairie Natural Division (Schwegman, et al. 1973) and contains outstanding examples of old-growth floodplain and upland forest. It supports populations of the state endangered eastern massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus), state threatened Kirtland’s watersnake (Clonophis kirtlandii), black-billed cuckoo (Coccyzus erythropthalmus) and Mudpuppy (Necturus maculosus).

http://allerton.illinois.edu/natural-areas/deer-management/
    In Fall 2004, a deer management program to reduce the size of the herd was initiated at Allerton in the form of an archery hunt. All hunters were required to harvest one antlerless deer before they were permitted to shoot a buck. In 2005, a doe-only shotgun hunt was also allowed. Initially, sharp shooting was conducted and the meat from the deer harvested was donated to local food banks and homeless shelters.
    In February 2005, 669 deer were counted in the Allerton Park survey area. Three years later in 2008, 300 deer were counted. Not only has the deer management program at Allerton been successful in reducing the deer population, but the number of vehicle collisions with deer on the adjacent county roads has been reduced from 22 in 2004 to only 4 in 2006. Farmers are also reporting substantially higher yields from their fields near forest edges.
    The deer management program is closely tied to research initiatives that examine deer health and assess ecosystem regeneration. To ascertain deer health, all deer harvested at Allerton are tested for chronic wasting disease. Other wildlife diseases that have been tested for in the past include Lyme disease, West Nile virus, tuberculosis, and epizootic hemorrhagic disease.
    Sampling plots have been established throughout the park where botanists from the Illinois Natural History Survey monitor spring wildflower diversity and abundance as they are released from browsing pressure. In the summer of 2005, a research project was initiated to document the abundance of deer ticks and Lyme disease in the Park and their relationship to white-tailed deer density. The deer research currently taking place at Allerton is the most significant research on deer in central Illinois since the early 1980s. "

2010 bow hunting during the rut I found myself in a favorite river bottom spot bow hunting for a doe since I had already tagged out on bucks, when I see a buck coming in trailing a hot doe.
    At a distance I noticed the buck had a severe limb until he got closer I could see half of his back leg was missing. I have no idea of how Lucky lost the lower part of his leg it could be a neighbor shot it off, he was hit by a car, infection from a wound, injured in battle etc....no way to know how it happened for sure.
    I then began to film him, now i was filming with an older video camera and my camera arm broke so the footage is not the best.

Lucky video in 2010
    [video=youtube_share;lGDPO8iUkTI]http://youtu.be/lGDPO8iUkTI[/video]

I then in 2011 only had a couple of distant incounters with Lucky. My husband had a very close encounter with Lucky at only a few feet from him in 2011 but he decided to let Lucky walk since he had seen a larger buck in the area he wanted to arrow.
    So when the 2012 Archery season rolled around I was really hoping to get close enough to arrow Lucky this season.
    In late 2012 I started filming with a new HD Camcorder and I was able to get some film footage of Lucky and I compiled his story over 2011 and on into a video.... The bowhunting season in Illinois was from Oct 1st 2012 - Jan 20 2013. I can tell you that in 2013 I did get to wrap a tag around Lucky's rack ... but ... there was a real twist to the stories ending.

Lucky video 2011, 2012 & 2013 video
    [video=youtube_share;xsk3GjRBhsI]http://youtu.be/xsk3GjRBhsI[/video]

2. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a crazy looking rack. How come you put your tag on him?

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome work Deb, seen it on FB!

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing

5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That was a great video! I see all that stuff too, but I don't have any video or pics of it. It was fun watching. Good job.

Too bad about Lucky. He looked like a great buck. I've been chasing one for 4 seasons now and am starting to wonder if I'll find him dead or not one of these years.

6. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a tease, what happened? Are you gonna tell us or do we have to call Paul Harvey?

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

......Said someone who did not watch the video.

8. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have the connection speed in the building @ work to watch video on my phone. I take it from your other comment that she found the deer dead and tagged it anyway?

9. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing.

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Super cool buck and a great story

11. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kool stuff

12. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really cool story and videos. Nice job Deb.

13. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy the story. Good share!

14. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    The local CPO ( Conservation Police Officer ) had to issue me a Salvage tag for me to take the skull & rack ... its the law in Illinois.

15. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Dan.
    I used a Panasonic HC-V500M Camcorder, Ive been very happy with its performance and really enjoy filming with it and its very user friendly, I cant say the same about the new camera arm I got... Im not real happy with the base :(

16. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Sweeeeeet,
    I havnt been called a tease since I was in my twenties, ya really know how to make an old lady happy :) HAHAHAAAAAAAA

17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Three legged buck that dies from a horrible disease = Lucky.
    You see the ones we call 'Unlucky'. ;)

Good compilation Deb!

18. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, I'm glad I could make your day a little happier. You probably got the Paul Harvey reference then too. Double score. Ill watch the videos when I get home tonight. Glad to hear you got your buck, sorry you didn't get to arrow him yourself.

19. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great video work! I'm glad you to have closure with "lucky"