32 days until I leave for Colorado!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Greg / MO, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :nana:

Finalizing my list to make sure I don't miss anything... Amazing how much crap you can take for a week-and-a-half trip up a mountain!! :huh:

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Greg. I wish I was heading back to Alberta this year to chase elk......I'm gonna miss it. Jill might kill me, but I'm gonna try to get out there next September again.

3. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man thats right around the corner, Good Luck on your trip Greg.

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You dog Greg!!:smash: I miss my elk hunting out in Montana. Good luck out there and enjoy yourself.

5. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greg, what are you doing typing on here, shouldn't you have a 50# pack on your back and doing a 5 mile jog to get in shape:d

I wish you the best and I can't wait to see pics, your photos from your trip last year were great :hail:

6. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah whatever........I'm not bitter really. :bash:

7. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe we can still hire somebody to take that guy out :ninja:

Actually, Jason... I've been running quite a bit for the past month. I'm probably in the best shape I've been in for at least three years. Tomorrow I switch gears to the Nordic Track as all these days running in a row is starting to stress out the knees. I'm hoping I can drop another inch off my waist before I leave, and then maintain after that... I'm around a 33" waist right now, but wouldn't mind getting a bit slimmer in the middle.

For three weeks, I haven't had anything but protein shakes for breakfast, protein bars for my mid-morning snack and two cans of tuna at lunch. I'll usually come home around 3'ish and have another bar or shake and then eat a sensible meal that my wife has fixed around 5:30 or so.

Trying to keep the muscle mass up as I drop pounds; down to 182 now and I don't know how much more weight I'll lose, but I wouldn't mind hitting 175.

8. Kelly/Ky

Kelly/Ky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing 5 miles per day for my trip....42 days I think. Perhaps we'll pass each other in the airport Greg, we are flying into Montrose on the 5th. I'm pumped..first elk trip. Take plenty of pics.

9. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good luck Greg, (kelly too) hope u guys drill a good one, Ive been seeing a lot of elk this summer while out looking for bucks... wont be long, 34 days for me.. Greg, Kelly way to go with the training, I too have dropped a lot of weight this spring and summer, feels great i am down 24 lbs..., I talked to rybo he has been hitting it hard too for his elk trip here...nothing better than covering lots of ground in the high country after bulls and enjoying it...

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Greg/Kelly, where are you guys going? I think I'm heading out on the 18th and staying through the 28th... we're still unsure of which area we're going to :confused:

We have a couple of ideas but haven't finalized the decision.

11. Kelly/Ky

Kelly/Ky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading out with an outfitter, near Somerset and Gunnison. 5th through the 12th. It's my first trip, so I figure I better go with someone who can help an Easterner out.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    You'll be just fine, there are some monster bulls down there. I do have to warn you though, after hunting elk in the rut, you may be willing to give up the whitetails... just sayin :d

13. MOmighty

MOmighty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I am so jealous! That is on my list of things to do someday. To help ease the pain....one week til i leave for my cruise:d

14. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is kind of amazing how many are going to Montrose this year. I will be there opening week, Kelly, Greg, and Rob(Elkhuntinut) are all hunting out of Montrose. That used to be a tiny po-dunk town. Not no more :)

15. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Dubbya, as huntingson said, we'll be rolling into Montrose to pick up our licenses and groceries and then heading up the mountain. We probably don't hunt 30 miles from there or so.

We're strictly DIY, public-landers. I'm sure there's a campsite close to us somewhere, seeing as how we just find bare patches of ground alongside the road. ;)