3-D Clothing?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by spc.k, Aug 10, 2011.

1. spc.k

spc.k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For my fellow bowhunters,

What is everyone's opinion of using "3-D" clothing for hunting whitetails? Where I hunt at in Ohio, you never see anyone wearing anything with 3-D clothing. Everyone just wears your basic Realtree or Mossy Oak patterns. Has anyone had any success with 3-D clothing or is it better to save the money and stick with the tried and true Realtree AP?

2. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I don't know if all 3D camo can trace it's roots back to the ghillie suit, they are one of the oldest, most successful forms of 3D camo that I can come across. I'm aware of hunters who've used those suits for just about every kind of game imaginable and they've all been successful. I've even seen a guy in a ghillie suit sit in the middle of a corn field and blast geese to his hearts content.

You tell me which one of these guys blends into the background better:

Bow_Hunter_Ghillie.jpg

bowhunter-in-tree.jpg

I think you'd be successful in either approach, but 3D camo probably does break-up your outline a little better.

3. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The ghille suits were invented by the SCOTS years ago so they could stay hiddin from and capture poachers. It is by far the most effective form of camo. If you have any military sniper training you're probably very familiar with them maybe even spent hours peeling burlap and making them.
    The purpose of camoflauge is to break up your outline and blend in with your environment. The ghillie is the best thing for this. Other 3 D camo is a step down from it but will in fact be more effective at breaking up your outline. If you've ever worn a ghillie suit you would know they can be itchy and uncomfortable as well as hold in too much heat the're covered in string or burlap thread that could easily get in the way of your draw or get caught on vegitation as you make your way to your stand. There are alot of 3 D camo set ups out there that provide freedom of movement although they may not be as effective. If you have your heart set on using something 3D I would go with a leafy break up camo, it will provide freedom of movement, breathability, and break up your outline a little better. But I have to agree with Big Stick you'll probably be just as successful with your plain cloths camo. Of course it depends on what type of hunting your doing, If your stalking deer with a knife or trying to put the sneak on your nieghbor go with the ghillie :biggun:

4. _DANNY_

_DANNY_ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    id say save your money.

5. Colorado Luckydog

Colorado Luckydog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The wind is way more important than your camo. I have been face to face (within a few inches) of a decent mule deer wearing solid orange. I'm talking orange from head to toe. I have had bull elk within just a few feet wearing blue jeans and a orange jacket. I still wear camo but the crap the retailers say is just about making the dollars. If you want to wear 3d camo, wear it because it's cool. If you want to kill elk or deer, let the wind work in your favor.