2nd Season...Still unsuccessful

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by kleinron007, Nov 11, 2013.

1. kleinron007

kleinron007 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well it has been a rough start to the seson. Had a great place to had but was asked to leave due to the landowner's step-son wanting to hunt the land solely (and other family dynamics the owner has going on). 600+ acres but still no room for me. Started hunting FML land (Dane County) in a nearby town but not a lot of movement although some pretty good sign. Did a little bit of mock scraping. Dropped some tinks doe pee. Even set up in some good cover on a climber. Just nothing. I am getting that point where I wonder if I should even bother getting up at the crack of dawn. On top of that my "hunting bddies" are starting to be less available probably due to the fact that they each got private land to go to. Not sure whether or not tokeep this going. This is my second deer and turkey season. Had couple of missed chances last season but that was on private land.

I am not sure quite what to do anymore. I need a hunting buddy and advice on how to be successful on public land.

Mission Riot
    Axion 3 Pin Vue Sight
    Bee Stinger 8oz
    QAD Arrow rest
    TruGlo Quiver
    70lbs
    Gold Tip Velocity/Blazer Vanes
    100gm Rage Chisel Tip

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well you can't kill them sitting at home. Keep hitting the woods and move around. Get in nice and far away from everyone else. Most of the sign you probably see is what they are doing at night. How far are you going in?

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scout the area as much as possible and look for where they are moving from and to. Last year (my 2nd season) I was hunting public land for the first time and I did some pre season scouting and found a good travel route on a pinch point and on top of that there was acorns everywhere. Lets just say opening day last year I tagged my first deer! look for those signs and hunt them when you find them, the spot I shot my first deer from was maybe 300 yards from the road so you don't always have to "go in deep" to find the deer.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It took me 5 years before I saw my first deer and 7 years to kill one. Sometimes it just takes persistence.

5. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it! My 2nd time up in a Tree Stand, I was drawn on a Doe and I moved my foot to shoot a more downward angle and all you hear is "ting" on the stand. Needless to say I lost that deer. But I'm still hunting! Don't get discouraged.

6. wareagle1996

wareagle1996 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not that I want to enjoy anyones bad luck or trouble, but it does make me feel better knowing I am not alone. I had family land fall through and now I am stuck hunting public land and nothing this year for me (my 1st). I have seen some father out and not remotely close enough to shot. I am starting to feel like I have no Idea what I am really lookign for when scouting.

People keep telling me to have patience and relax, and I will continue to try that.

7. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Suck it up buttercup, nobody said bowhunting was easy! This is my second season and hunting in lower Alabama pretty much sucks unless you have large private land to hunt on yet I still put the time and effort in because it's a passion, not just something to shoot a deer with. I get discouraged but it makes me try to find what it is that I'm missing to put myself on the deer. Public land takes some time and patience and you have to be mobile, don't do like a lot that get out of the truck and go 100 yards into the woods. Get in deep, find pinch points on trails like Oly said. Drop the pity party and get out in the woods buddy, when you get that first deer it will make everything worth it...that's what keeps me going!

8. kleinron007

kleinron007 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am ruckin bout a full mile to a mile and a half in. I found somd nice rubs and scrapes but the areas they are in seem to be thoroughfares. Im hoping tomorrow will be the day as I am setting up shop for an evening hunt. If it rains I am going to blind it near some apple trees with the wife. If it doesnt we are going to treestand and hunt the rubs. Best plan I got.

9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only have one season under my belt, but I'd say keep going. I was bummed that I got tag soup instead of venison stew this winter, but I'm so excited for next season. I'm shooting every week, just got lighted nocks to hunt some yotes and rabbits. I can't wait for March when I can put in again!

10. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do you measure success? I have had those seasons where everything seems to go wrong. But you are out there... you are physically able to go... blessings all around! Enjoy the journey.

11. JRoach129

JRoach129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Amen on this. With stand time, success will come.

12. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Patience an persistence. I didn't get nothin this season, or last season, or the season before that.....an so on. I'm still waitin on a first bow kill. It happens just keep going at it man!

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This was my 4th year bowhunting and I finally had my first bow kill. It's not easy, but that's the great part about it.

Read books, not magazines.

Ask questions on here, you'd be amazed at how much you can find out from these guys.

Scout right after this season to find where the deer traveled, bedded, etc. Prepare as many stand locations as you can possibly find from January to March then leave them alone. Make sure you're going where other hunters dont want to.

Who cares if your buddies are hunting private land, you got more public land than they do private, you just have to know how to hunt it. Also, ask your neighbors for permission to hunt, or offer a helping hand to your friend in exchange for hunting privelages.

14. Scowd

Scowd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't give up! It took me years to get that first one down. I myself hunt mostly public ground. I like to walk the property line and see where the deer are coming in off private ground. Where I hunt the deer mostly bed on private. Then they come through the public to feed. Look on google maps at the private ground that backs to the public to see any fields they may have on them. I never hunt fields on public ground. That's too easy and I know they get hit hard. Edges are a key as well. Edges like cedar patches in the woods. Seems like where I hunt the deer travel from cedar patch to cedar patch in the woods. Setup up about 20 yards or so from a cedar patch in the woods. Of course make sure there is sign around the area before setting up. Another type of edge is small trees going into old growth woods. Hope this helps. Keep me updated on your progress. Good Luck!

15. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Year three unbucksessfull. Filled the doe tag tho. Hey it's hunting not killing right. I just love being out there. Keep at it.

16. Carsonbow4

Carsonbow4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This was my first going after deer with a bow also, had several encounters but never got draw back on a deer.

17. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Setting up for good close shots is one of the final and toughest challenges. Then executing those shots without being busted. I usually stand at the first chance I get. I get my bow in position to draw. I have a place picked out... a bush or a tree so that when the head goes behind it, I draw. It comes more naturally after a few tries.
    Hang in there; it will be sweet when it happens.