2in Expandable to Big?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jtmoney2002, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting expandables for about ten years .I have had great success with them , a great kill rate and recommend them to most that ask about them. When I started with expandables I started with spitfires 1.5 in cut and they worked great for years .But I wanted to get a head with a little more durability .So I switched to G5 tekan 1.5 in and had good success with it but they discontinued it.So two years ago when they were discontinued I went with the killizone 2 in cut . I figured since I was shooting 73 lbs and an arrow at about 500 grains 2in cut wasn't a horrible idea since so many people are having good luck with them. But I have noticed within the past two years only 25% of the deer I have taken have had full pass throughs resulting in a tough track jobs. I believe the broad heads are good and sharp and reliable.

Have you guys that shoot 2in heads notice the decrease in full pass throughs since moving up in cut size?

2. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel that it would be just as difficult to push a 2" two blade through an animal as it would a 1.5" three blade, because of blade surface area. I used to shoot spitfires and had good luck, but i wanted a big hole on entrance too so i went with some Rage Hypodermics. Only thing i have shot so far is a coyote but the hole was great. I would imagine with your setup, just about any broadhead would pass through with a well placed shot

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rear deploying expandable....there is your answer right there.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually I think a 3 blade 1.5 inch has something near 3 inches of cut surface and a 2 inch 2 blade has around 2.5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot killzones last year....two deer two pass throughs....one bear....no pass through but hit opposite shoulder on a nice quarter away angle....20 some inches of penetration....not one of these animals went more than 35 yards...I have no complaints

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

6. Jtmoney2002

Dislikes Received:
    If u measure the cutting surfaces 1.5 inches of blade and 2 inches of blade are still 1.5 and 2.0. I'm still curious if anyone has noticed as I have the the decrease in full pass throughs with the increase in cutting size of the broadheads. I was thinking it might have something to with the increase of rib contact with the increase of width of the cut not the increase in cutting surface.

7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 2" Swhackers and haven't had any issues with pass throughs...but they open up different than the Killzones too....so not really sure.

8. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot 2" Killzones and they were great! This past season I decided to also try the Killzone MAXX's and those did great too! Every deer I shot I got a complete pass through. When deciding to go with the MAXX's I was worried about penetration issues with the 2 3/8" cutting diameter, but they proved me wrong. I was using Gold Tip XT Hunter Arrows at roughly 387 grains complete arrow weight. I now have changed my FOC with added point weights to 12.09% and will be shooting 125 gr Killzones next season putting me at the approx. arrow weight of 413.8 gr. I feel this is plenty for good KE and penetration.

Entrance and Exit hole from a Killzone MAXX 2 3/8' Cutting Diameter-

Entry:
    [​IMG]

Exit:
    [​IMG]

Shot placement being key on pass throughs IMO, maybe you hit some bone.

9. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope not, I use 2 1/4 inch cut.

"Live Life at Full Draw"

10. Jtmoney2002

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with hitting bone especially a shoulder it will decrease the chance at a full pass through , but it's been on a quite a few animals I have killed. A few times the arrow has penetrated to the opposite side of the entrance side and just bounced of the rib cage and upon cleaning the animal I find the hard red hemmorrhaging on that side of the cage. I'm just figuring with my setup ( Mathews monster 7.0 @ 73 lbs at 28.5 in and shoot a fmj at 490 grains with broadhead . I'd figure I blowing through the majority of whatever I shot with the overkill of a setup I have. I believe next season I'm going to go with something that has a smaller width/blade circumference so I can decrease the blade contact with the rib cage and maybe the arrow will have a better chance to make a full pass through, although I have good luck with killing deer I think a pass throughs will help with tracking jobs.

11. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It might have something to do with tuning or FOC.