21=blackjack

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by wl704, Aug 16, 2015.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like I’m Debbie downer when I come here, anyways, this weekend may be my last outing and the weather is going to be warm. I have something else that is going to tie me up for a while, I will post pictures, but you will just have to wait. I may be able to get back out but this is going to take priority.
    My question to you fellas, do you have any Hail Mary tips or tricks to get a buck to come my way? Buck bomb...etc.? Usually I have at least two does in the freezer, but this season has been a bust, weather has not cooperated at all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain.

Afternoons almost feel too warm to hunt. So about noon or 1pm if I'm not seeing anything and are going to call it a day anyway I'll take a mile or two scouting detour...where I've found sign (scrape, beds, rubs) I'll save those locations away and hunt them later when the wind is right.

Last semi successful hunt I got too close to a bedding area and inadvertently ran the deer out...

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would look for the best food in your area to hunt. Or hunt a area that has fawns, because around here they are starting to get hot and the bucks are chasing them.

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just check camera at house and got a typical 12 or 13 pt come thru last night. Unreal!

Attached Files:

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer. I'm hoping to get out sometime in the next couple of weeks. Went striper fishing today and it was 78 degrees. We got 11 inches of rain a couple weeks ago and the lake is 10 feet high so fishing is terrible right now. A nice day for a boat ride though. :D

6. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas, scored a nice little button buck last night. Little heffer put up a fight but we finally got him out. image.jpg

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!! lol Congrats man!!

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! I remember those days...get sleep when you can.

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! That is awesome! Life will change, but all for the better.

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A little update from me, the last 7 sits I have yet to see a deer! The trail cam still show all night movement and maybe once a week I might get a day pic of a doe. We got a 20 degree drop in temp tonight so I'm hunting the morning between bedding and my little micro plot.

Keep after it everyone! There still is time

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Long range weather here looks horrible (e.g. 78 on Christmas !?!) through the EOY with a couple small exceptions. The warm weather has our deer mostly nocturnal too.

Vehicle is still in the body shop, goes to paint on Monday and am currently scheduled to get it on the 24th...I think I'm probably done...unless I can (hopefully) get out for a day or two before the EOY...

12. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations Steve! Glad to hear everyone is doing well! I can definitely understand (and appreciate) how that can take priority over tagging a deer. Stock up on coffee:)

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey fellas, I haven't had a chance to get on the site for a while. Congrats on your new little one Steve. That is a true blessing and a life changer. I had to make an unexpected trip back to Wyoming to attend a funeral right after I got back from Thanksgiving. Did a little more bird hunting and took a few photos while I was there. Got in at 2:30 this morning. Our season goes til Jan 15 but the weather has been really warm here. Had a tornado hit a few miles from the house last night in Rowlett, TX that did tons of damage. We are getting non-stop rain now and it poured all night last night.[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG]

14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  16. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gave it one last shot tonight but didn't see a thing. Public land has been pressured and I think the deer are mostly nocturnal right now. Season closes on the 15th but I don't think I'll make it out again unless we get a drastic change in the weather and the deer have to move before nightfall. Good luck to any of you who are still hunting. :D

17. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally made it back out since I shot my buck in November. Hung a new stand last week after noticing a lot of tracks in fresh snow. It was about 15 degrees, but very little wind. As the sun went down I had a doe come right under my tree stand on right (wrong) side and walked straight away. 15-20 minutes later she came back towards me on my left side. I couldn't draw back without her busting me but I figured I'm running out of opportunities so I drew. She turned around and trotted away for 15 yards and stopped to turn broadside! Not quite sure what happened here, but after taking the shot she dropped with her back legs going somewhat limp. I heard the air come out when I hit her, and it wasn't high enough to be a spine shot... I came back an hour later and she was still laying there breathing, but I could hear air coming out of the exit hole. Arrow broken and back half still in her. Either way, second tag is filled. Turned out to be a button buck too. I'll post to scorecard tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  18. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man. Nothing like hunting in the dead of winter. Good work.

19. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Turns out the entry hole was just high enough to knick the spine. Sure didn't seem like a high hit.

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went and checked my camera last night while hunting and twice in the beginning of the week I had a group of 5 bucks come thru during day light. But this happen when the Temps were in the 20's, now they are back in the 60's. I will have to wait for another cold snap, then hunt them. I still have a couple weeks of the bow season left, there still is a chance!