Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

2023 scouting thread

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ash d, Feb 11, 2023.

1. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning with the dog to a property I have permission on. Hung 2 cameras 1 where I currently have a stand and 1 in a new spot. I put down a mock to try to draw some attention, there was quite a few droppings in the area and I got a tree picked out. I’m glad I got out there early the humidity and bugs are brutal right now. It’s beer 30 and I just finished the yard. I have a couple more cameras to get out on different properties in the next couple weeks and 4 to 5 stands to move.

2. Chase

Chase Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Picking on a new piece of public in MO. Nailed down all of the ideal spots via Google maps and found tree stands left up in most of them.. checked that box off on where not to go. Lots of browse sign in the edging but still looking for those sign post rubs. Found what looked to be like some nonchalant travel routes in/out of briar thickets and swamp bottoms. History serves me on which deer tend to use those, albeit occasional. Dropped some cheap cameras on it back in May to see if I get any snaps of growing antlers before I put my foot prints in the thickets.

Any one in those states that are outlawing trail cams? How do ya feel about it?

ash d likes this.
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    put one cam out last Sat. ( 1 more to go) and changed out some brite eyes at another location ... need to go back and check out a entry route to the new stand locations from where I want park .. I'm worried out the lanes flooding/mudding out and not being able to get back in from the direction I really want to go in from .... problem is lack of time off to do whats needed .. back to f'n 7 day work weeks and one day off every 3rd week ..

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I took a small work break yesterday to check things out. The scrape ...well not sure what's going on with that. It was just a scrape no scents ,just soil loosened and de-rocked with a beech limb cracked just enough to hang over it. It is a foot deep and about that much wider. It looks more like a mineral site than a scrape. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the red clay/sandy soil it's on?
    Then I noticed browse. I expected a woods browse near the mature corn,not near the field beans the farmer planted. What they are hammering at both spots , besides the berries, is basswood sprouts. Every basswood tree I've cut and they sprouted is leaf bare. The poke weed is nibbled to just stalks and the red Elderberry shrubs are hit. Very surprised just 60-80 yrds off a 30 acre greenbean field and hay field.

ash d likes this.
  5. cbw

cbw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks coming nicely on our home farm. Seeing much more in velvet. Usually they don’t show up until late Sept.

Need to get cams on a couple permission farms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ash d likes this.
  6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    going to try to set the other cam tomorrow, and if time/weather/heat allows, try to find a entrance/path to the new 3 stand locations .. for these 3, I want to come in from the NE and then go south on a long lane from where I park about a half mile from the locations ( two are for SE winds, one for South/SE winds) ... wish I could have done this back in Feb/March but the lane/woods were so flooded I couldnt get back in due to the snow melt and rains and now here I am in July ....

ash d likes this.
  7. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put out a salt block , ten pointer shows up. Good signs so far.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

ash d likes this.
  8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well, I decided to find a way in to those 3 stands and I did, I'll hang the cam next week .. a very old lane that hasnt been cut in years, all briar'd/weeded/down tree'd up.. I'll have to go back and whack and cut my way to the main lane, and as long as these dont flood, it will be a .5 - .6 mile walk to those stand tree's with my Alpha II and 4 Skeletor sticks and gear ..

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well, got cam #2 up, and then went to cut that trail in , what an ass kicker. briars head high, weeds, burrs, nettle, tangle foot, finger size saplings, etc. .. got 3/4 of the way done and had to stop, I was beat and soaked to my jock strap with sweat, couldnt swing the Machete or the brush whacker any longer, and didnt want to heat stoke out (87 degrees and bright sun) ... I'll finish it up this weekend, I hope (about 100 yds+ left to cut of this crap) .. then I'll start checking the other stand locations .. maybe, one more cam to go up (maybe) ..

ash d likes this.
  10. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Image1691367895.355379.jpg Image1691367913.320898.jpg Image1691367935.655124.jpg Image1691367966.839679.jpg
    Super excited about card pull!! Got some dandy’s coming to site every few days. Been pretty consistent for about a month now. 7 different bucks total. These are some of the nicest ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

ash d, 0317, JeffC and 2 others like this.
  11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ nice critters ... finally finished up that entry (380 yd entry just to the one lane, then another 3/8-1/2 mile just to get to my long entry into the stand trees) ...... squirrel season opens Wed. the 15th, i'll go back and do my usual walk thrus of my other stand locations next fri/sat. while squirrel hunting and continue to do so until I can check on all the locations at least once .. ... hopefully no wind/storm damaged stand locations ...

12. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMAG7339.JPG Image1692480980.419547.jpg Image1692481000.237011.jpg IMAG7214.JPG
    Got pics of another hog twice last week. All the other big boys are still coming in to area. Never had this many big deer around before. Super excited!!!hopefully they stick around!!!
    Hung two stands today and got a set in place for the saddle. Planning to do some pruning tomorrow and weed wack a couple paths for access. I want to get this stuff done and get out of there. I feel like I may have to be a little pickier this season. Many prospects that could be my biggest yet if I can be patient and put in the time on stand.

JeffC and Holt like this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! It's time to put another buck on the wall!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

14. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Just can’t believe how many big bucks are around the property. I’m thinking they may disappear for awhile but knowing they could be back is very exciting. I think 3 of them are bigger than anything I’ve shot before.

Holt likes this.
  15. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished weed whacking about a half mile path for easier access to my spots. Cleared weeds and any loose sticks so access is as quiet as possible.
    Also made a mock scrape and put a section of rope from branch hanging over scrape. Never did this before but I’m gonna try to do whatever it takes to keep these deer interested in this area. I have one more stand to hang in a spot that is already set up do some pruning and I’m ready. Hoping to get this done by end of next weekend.

oldnotdead and Mod-it like this.
  16. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ever have a mature large oak just die and dry out in one year (60ft+ tree)? Ive had this happen a few times .. trees were healthy the previous season too .... I dont/cant use screw in's, just sticks so si's didnt kill it.. lost a good stand location.. drats .. checked on 3 other locations, replaced/added some bright eyes .. it was a miserable muggy wet super foggy AM yesterday, only saw one squirrel, and he was on a lane and running, no shot with the scoped .22, I was soaked from the moisture and sweat by the time I got back to the truck .. .. still have about 8 more locations to check on in a few weeks .. work beckons for the next 12 days straight ..

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oak Wilt, some oaks in the Midwest have it many years and they are fine. Then some get the fungal infection bad enough that the seem to die quickly.
    Here is a good link about it.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/foresthealth/oakwilt

18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    thanks, there are numerous Oaks on the place and elsewhere that that have died, all very quickly too ... I'll read that

19. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: