2022 spring turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Mar 22, 2022.

1. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wet or Dry, they all taste the same... enjoy and congratulations.

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well decided to do a later hu tat the gypsy blind. 3 hens all on high points around the blind. Just got windows open and I think I hear hens not far off. Going to give it a few mins. Before calling

gltomp and Mod-it like this.
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say I have high hopes for this springs hatch. It is as dry as a popcorn fart out in the woods with no rain due until Sunday. If that arrives, we missed the last 2 rains here and unfortunately it may have killed the clover seedlings. The woods floor is cracking. Great for the turkeys though..dry and warm which means,a quick green up of brush. A slow down of grain fields which should give them time to hatch and move off the fields well before any work is started
    Dang chippers just won't shut up!

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing came in

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sun rise in the turkey woods

20220516_053213.jpg 20220516_053124.jpg

gltomp and JeffC like this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Great thing about turkey hunting....
    Even if no birds show up you just may see some nice buck. 2 strolled by at 50 yrds.. wish I had a better cam phone. For this time of year really good growth with some splits. Picture just don't cut it.

20220516_063708.jpg 20220516_063705.jpg 20220516_063234.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    gltomp, JeffC and GregH like this.
  7. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to hear a Pheasant on Saturday's hunt, may have been a released bird, but was in marsh, hope he makes it.

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I came home early because of work. Get here and there are turkey putting and cackling right behind the house....figures
    A great morning though, those buck had better growth than pic Showed. Each had splits started and one will have a base sticker.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    gltomp likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting here chatting with Turkey out back while having first coffee. I can't see them because we had just a tiny bit of moisture last night, the rye literally grew 4-5 inches. Also the clover is FINALLY making a showing. Wanted it growing well before leaf out but at least it's finally growing.

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Turned off alarm at 3 a.m. for 4. Tossed and turned all night due to hauling a huge pile of tree tops from the tree cutting we had done. Hubby wants to chip all of it but they had inadvertently stacked a bunch on neighbours land. Best just move to a fence pile I had near by and avoid issues. I have a small "snow fence" between an open area in hedge row between field and drive. Stopped huge drifts in the drive way in winter.
    All that said I was in an every joint pain event last night and this morning.
    I look out window having coffee at 8:30 to see 2 hen and 2 Jake walking through my new rye plot 40 yards out back. . No Tom's in sight.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Out on another fine spring morning. Just one far off gobble and a bunch of sapsuckers.

20220520_062646.jpg 20220520_062526.jpg

gltomp and Mod-it like this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I called in one lone hen. I left at 8:30 when the flies and bees got to be too much. Nice to see with the rain things are growing well.

JeffC likes this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Out for a last sit talking with some hens. Hens right behind me to my side and infront as well haven't seen any of them yet. Though all the talk managed to make a bunch of crow curious and they flew in to the trees. Now the hens have gone quiet. What an obnoxious bird crows are, mouthy. Hhhmmm now they're quiet as well. Sounds like they may have moved off.

gltomp likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So nothing came in so I went home for a break and coffee. I then went across the street to end at 12 p.m..
    Again nothing but right at noon I watched a big buck a 1/4 mile out in the farm field. High noon and he was just strolling out in the middle of those fields from one wood lot to a group of pines. 86 degrees and sunny.

15. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season ended on Friday, 11 trips to hunt, think I heard at least 1 gobble on every trip, only 2 jakes were close enough to shoot. Eye opening season, I can no longer trust birds will be in areas they were the year before. Next year will have to put in the time to scout and find birds before season. 1st time in 21 years without a least 1 Tom harvested. Good luck to those still chasing!

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got one but there were so few Tom's . And so many more hunters it was way harder than usual. I would normally hit camp hut camp wasn't opened and gas is just crazy. I couldn't justify it. I also wanted to do some public hiking/scouting...nope I barely go grocery shopping now. Hubby picked up milk for himself. I'm doing my best to deplete all the freezers and canned goods as the garden grows. I noticed that Sam's club with it's plus membership free shipping.....suddenly has just about everything I "regularly " order out of stock...

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh didn't go out today...I had to work. Was in garden'and heard a gobble way up.on the neighbours land. Make me laugh...just up from where I was late morning yesterday....he'll be bigger this fall.

18. Tommy Fults Jr

Tommy Fults Jr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Expensive but Sitka has come out with a tick repellant camo

Heckler likes this.