2022 spring turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Mar 22, 2022.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

2. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats OND on a fine Tom.

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I finally got one to play the game on Monday morning. 7 yard throat punch with the bow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wl704, Mod-it, JeffC and 3 others like this.
  5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Bird... Congratulations. Outstanding Photos!

oldnotdead, DEC and GregH like this.
  6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great action pics.
    Congrats OND.
    How do you prepare wild turkey?

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I just did a crock pot of legs and thighs. Cleaned that all up. The broth which was done adding 3 celery cut offs, an onion, poultry seasoning and garlic. It was rendered down to a rich consome' that at the moment is simmering up a bunch of veggies. Just before dinner I will cut up small pieces of breast meat cook to just done in butter then add it to the stock. This will be served with the egg white bread I made today...BTW stupid good and the whole house smells like a yeast bread.

Two separate bowls
    1. I use powdered products . Pure just dehydrated shelf stable.
    6 g egg yoke
    6 g. Butter powder
    1/2 tsp smoked salt
    1 Tbl Allulose
    1 tsp Butter milk powder
    2 Tbs cheddar cheese powder
    Set aside. You can make several of these bowls cover and store for next bread.
    Pre heat oven to 325 so it's ready . Also take a good sized loaf pan and line it with parchment paper. Length and width with enough to fold over. This is where clips or magnets come in handy to secure the paper from out side pan. JUST DON'T FORGET THEM BEFORE BAKING.
    Now to make the bread base
    I like a yeast taste and smell so I bloom a tsp of yeast in 1 1/2 cups of warm water that I stirred a tsp. of honey in. The yeast eats the honey.
    You need a big blender I use a kitchen aid.
    Once yeast has bloomed you measure out 120g. Of EGG WHITE powder.
    1 1/2 tsp creme or tarter. Put all that into your blender bowl and mix on high until stiff peaks form, 3-5 mins. Go slow at first or your have a cloud of egg white in your kitchen.
    Now this is where you have to be fast.
    Once the peaks form you need to add your other dry ingredients . Sprinkle around the beater then slowly mix in on low . Just enough you know they won't fly out when you turn on high and count to ten at a normal pace. Take out beater tap off excess into bowl. Quickly take a very clean,no grease or oil residue, spatula and scrape side / bottom into middle making sure every thing is incorporated well...no white streaks. You just don't want to cause deflation of eggs and the dry ingredients do that a bit anyways but are needed. Quickly fold mixture into loaf pan . You Need to spread it to corners and smooth as you add. There may seem like more than pan but smooth it up and form what looks like an already baked loaf. Then place centered on middle rack for 40 mins. The top will crack don't worry.
    Cool completely on a rack. after removing from loaf from pan and removing paper. Which can be used more than once.
    Now this can be made with fewer products and fresh eggs. 12 fresh egg whites and then instead of the yoke powder two fresh whisked egg yokes added with other powders. Also only salt and allulose are actually needed. In dry ingredients if fresh eggs are used.
    This said...what I add is the only way I can get the truest bread flavour. This can be formed into anything...rolls, subs,buns, pizza crust Add more sweetness and you can make deserts of all sorts.
    Each slice of "bread" is 1-2 carbs depending on thickness. High protein and fat depends on products you use. There are many you tube videos on this bread. Best are indigo Neli and loving it on Keto with Wendy.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So besides all that...the thigh and leg meat has been shredded and will make BBQ sandwiches or have mayo and horseradish added for a sandwich. Breast are made into soups, Turkey fingers, burgers, tacos, filet then stuffed with veggies and cheese. Wrapped in semi cooked bacon and baked. This way I get a crisper bacon "skin" without dry turkey.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great bird and super camera work. Congrats!

gltomp and DEC like this.
  10. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Double bearded with a rope, congrats!!

gltomp and DEC like this.
  11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Good Lord OND.
    That's quite a recipe!

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yes but it really doesn't take long to make, other than bake time. Hubby who loves his bread is very particular on what breads I use to buy. Was given 2 slices with his soup and cut another on his own. You can also mix seasonings with the dry ingredients like Italian spices ,garlic powder, caraway for a more rye taste.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  13. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Today, 6:05 am ... 1st day of my 3 day state land draw hunt ... 20 lb/9in beard, 3/4" spurs ... 27 yd shot/12 ga Mossberg/3" Win. Long Beard 5's

20220505_061543.jpg

GregH, gltomp and oldnotdead like this.
  14. Mckyd

Mckyd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my 2nd spring hunting turkeys. I'm using a hoyt powermax. I got a little ambitious last year and bought both my tags right away. Musta been a bad omen, cause I got skunked!!

I was hellbent and determined to whack a bird this year. Been out everyday since opener April 25th. On May 2nd I had a gobbler come in to some decoys we had set up in front of a bush blind I had built up in off season, on public land. He stop just pass 25-30 yards and wouldn't come in. I got to full draw and decided to take my shot. The arrow flew straight, shot felt good and soared right over his back, taking off some feathers as he backflipped in to the air. I had missed. Defeated.

Wednesday evening, decided to give it another shot with a buddy in the blind with me. Sat for hours and only saw 1 hen come through our decoys. With 45 min left of legal shooting, I hear the familiar gobble about 30 yards down field behind me. I recognized this Tom, he seemed to be missing some back feathers. He waited for the hen he was with to get in front of him while strutting for our 1/4 strut avian x decoy and HD hen. The old girl came right into our decoys and started feeding. The Tom kept strutting his way in slowly and walked right in front of our blind at 20yards. I came to full draw without alerting him or the hen. Put my pin right were his wing was coming into his torso, and thought "as soon as he stops...". He stopped.

received_949985075652047.jpeg received_1207059120147339.jpeg received_392539186112894.jpeg received_677503800137014.jpeg

Can't wait to enjoy my very first bow harvest. Hopefully first of many.

Thanks for reading

0317, gltomp, Mod-it and 4 others like this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a fine bird @ 0317

Congrats on your first bird and public to boot! @ Mckyd

16. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Damn near tame here.
    Big Tom's come by my cabin every year bout this time.
    I have zero desire to hunt them.
    Many times I could have sent an arrow right out a window,

17. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    congrats on the bird ... on the draws, I hunt with gun, when I had good private, I used a blind and bow and would do all dayers out if it .. on these draw hunts/state lands you have to stop hunting at noon, I'm usually far back in and I'm not humping a blind back and forth, it is easier to run/gun without a blind using the shotgun ....

18. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a morning... Light misty rain had the turkeys out playing in the fields and I decided to join them.

There were 28 turkeys in the field; 27 left at my shot..

Wet turkeys take terrible photos.

image000000.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Mod-it, JeffC, gltomp and 2 others like this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  20. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nice bird ..