2022 Garden progress

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by oldnotdead, Apr 15, 2022.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy inflation and empty shelves , gardens will be pretty important to some. What will yours be like? Be an apartment container to a tractor tilled one. How far along are you southern guys?
    Today I weeded the collards and all the things I planted a bit ago. Way more seeds came up than expected. I can see now the spinach, beets, kale, radish ,chard. I bought more hardware clothe to keep the rabbits out. Adults can't squeeze through but the kits are. Also so I can utilize the fence for beans, peas, small squash and cukes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    TJF likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think I am going to plant a couple tomato plants in the ground rather than growing them in big pots.

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You stay busy OND, love it.
    Every time I've started a garden, the deer wipe em out.

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    One word
    Fencing

GregH likes this.
  5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looked longingly at my garden this afternoon and then watched the nightly News and Weather where they predicted below freezing temps for both Saturday and Sunday night.

Still dreaming of Spring.

GregH and oldnotdead like this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Rained,now snowing. I actually hope we get a few inches of snow before the night temps hit. That will protect the things growing in the garden from the low 20's at night. May have to spread some of the old chicken straw over the area. I managed to get all of the chicken coop cleared. I can clean it and cut shooting Windows in it.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sustained Spring is nowhere in sight for the Midwest unfortunately. Going to be much of the same for a few more weeks. Few days of teasing warmth followed by several days of cool/cold.

Getting tired of it actually. Freeze warning up for tonight and work has shut down all the heaters already. 56 degrees in my building, when the damn fork truck drivers remember to shut the overheads anyway.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I woke up the last couple of mornings to low to mid twenties, snow yesterday. I went out to plant more peas and check plants that are up...they are all doing really well to my surprise. Dang really not happy about the number of grubs and cut worms dug up when planting the peas. I did a lot of spraying for this last summer (BT). Looks like I'll have a devil of a time with snails and blk slugs again as well...a lot of squishing went on yesterday...lol
    I have to spray a kill down on an are I had in clover the last couple of years also where I cut back some old concord grape vines. The vines got shaded out by the mulberry trees and no amount of fungi spray will stop the pycnidia spores. I'll yank them spray down all weeds and perhaps plant back in raspberry and more rhubarb. Maybe spend a couple of seasons working on a raised bed asparagus patch. Voles, moles keep me from being able to do direct groundwork in planting of such roots...already lost dbl fenced chestnut tree that was tunneled under and roots eaten.
    This area is the pits when it comes to critters and insects. A. J. Catches 3+ voles a day when with me as I work. Then That increases his worming needs..never ending geez...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  9. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    4"of wet heavy snow yesterday morning. Today it has all melted but that means that there is water standing on my garden.

10. OmarLittle

OmarLittle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Started my tomatoes and peppers indoors looking good. Rule of thumb here is not to transplant outdoors until Mother's day but this spring has been so cold I might not be able to get them in the ground until June.

Asparagus patch starting to come up along with the rhubarb

oldnotdead likes this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is a small rock garden around the septic pipes, I am removing hostas and some damn ornamental grass plant. I have to take the river rock out put down fabric. I think I will have room for 4 plants.

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Today I went over and did a weed spay and spay down of a clover section. I then went down and sprayed part of the fruit tree plot and x around the trees. It's 83 here and my body said no to any more work in the sun.

13. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Double post but thought it fit well here.

[​IMG]

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday I cleaned up the strawberry tires and then planted 14 Jersey knight asparagus crowns in the big tractor tire. I like these tires because it helps with the voles and weeds. I use hardware clothe under the tire to keep out the tunnelers. I topped of things with composted manure. Very little wind with rain due at 4 I have more staying to get done. Man dandelions EVERYWHERE.
    I also need to transplant rhubarb to new spot, maybe a container and play t New crowns and plant onions and get the potato towers done. Hubby is still loving his gators. I haven't eaten a potato in over two years.

16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody around here is doing any gardening. It's been too wet and cold. It's supposed to get down into the high teens and mid 20's for low temps the next couple of days. My clover is still dormant. We won't plant anything until the end of next month.

oldnotdead and Sota like this.
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Snow is due Wednesday but ethnically redraw loving the warm temps now. They are things that h as idle cold and snow. The tomatoes ,peppers,lettuce , broccoli, and cabbage planted inside will get trans planted in bigger pots and set out later in May. My fall planted garlic is looking GREAT and I only lost a few collard plants from last year. Still have a dozen growing great. I'm going to start a few squash and dukes inside to get a head start and melons for hubby.

18. OmarLittle

OmarLittle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my first asparagus of the year. About 2-3 weeks behind schedule.

[​IMG]

Mod-it, elkguide and oldnotdead like this.
  19. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The last couple of years, we have done a small garden buying plants from a guy down the street. Last year we did tomatoes, bell peppers, and jalepenos. Yesterday, my oldest bought a blue berry bush. The guys doesn't have the other vegetables ready yet to transplant from his garden. I may pick up anothe blueberry bush. My wife is wanting me to build a box for watermelons.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will put in tomatoes next week thinking 5 plants, wife makes really good pizza sauce.

oldnotdead likes this.