2021 who's started their land projects?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Jan 7, 2021.

1. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Japanese beetles have shown up here. However, with the drought and heat we've had this has been a banner year for weeds.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The constant rain here has me very thankful for weed barrier in the garden. Any place the ground is bare has me constantly weeding when the rain stops. In the plots I'm praying the beans and nocturnal can beat the weeds coming back in,it's a race.

3. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to do something with this clearing that I’ve been trimming for the last 2 years. Weed whipped it today and the plan is to nuke it next week after a little re-growth then seed and mow with winter rye this fall. Lots of areas where I can see bare soil already so it should take if we actually get some rain... 79B18A64-3578-4960-9CC1-984F6C0ED91A.jpeg 14355DFD-383A-4E87-B2FC-3DAFBFE311DE.jpeg I still am amazed how well the new clover plot that I made this spring, it has a lot of leftover old seed that I didn’t expect to germinate but did. It has served well for the cover crop that I intended it to be. Add in the fact that it’s only rained 3 times since I planted it on May 18, I haven’t had a plot look this good even under ideal conditions... FB7BDE02-011D-4494-9BEB-B48088EBD7FB.jpeg F20D1B74-5B77-4F9C-851E-553B3B26BC9F.jpeg

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is that cover crop oats?

5. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    Yes

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use oats quite a bit as a cover or stand alone. Sometimes in the spring I plant oats intending on mowing and tilling them into the ground as a soil builder. I was surprised that when I mowed them when they were still green that the seeds were viable and grew with the brassica I planted after mowing and tilling them. I thought of it as an added bonus.

arrowflinger1 and oldnotdead like this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Got all clover plots mowed today plus garden clover and all possible fall plots. Thick, thick, thick. Weed whacking tomorrow, a job I hate. Sprayed garden and all plots for fungi and bacteria, plus bugs. We have some Sun on the way.
    I'm STILL hauling limbs from that tree I cut behind the house a few days ago...this is the 8 th load this size and still have a few more to go . I love the dump bed on Gator. No wonder I wasn't getting a breeze before.

20210722_174018.jpg 20210722_173950.jpg 20210722_173944.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    arrowflinger1 likes this.
  8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Was finally able to get to one of my satellite farms to do some work. It’s got to the point where it’s too wet in Ohio, need some warm weather and sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Today I worked the garden. Weeding then mulching before a rain. Got some fall crops in, peas ,cauliflower,beets, lettuce, spinach. I then put up two more fences to deter the rabbits and deer when I open main gate during bow season. I have an area of mixed clovers as a cover crop for next year's garden rotation. Deer love it and hit it at dusk and dawn. I then sprayed a kill down on two fallow plot areas for the fall planting of grains and clover. Of course the rains came early and I just got done,when a thunder storm blew in fast. There goes that time and spray. I have a new plot area I'm working on behind the he house. It will connect a major trail plot.. only a third of it will be finished this year. I'm hand raking the surface rocks and will then drag it with the harrow drag, before using rye as a first planting I'll use the harrow drag there.. for being on the upper side of land the rocks are some of our worst.
    A combo of beardless wheat with Trictical will go in the other plots. A third plot to get,sprayed will be all rye for deer and Turkey to bed in

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Took some pics of new plot area. I worked raking rocks on it last night before dark. This will take me at least until next year to complete. Today I hand weeded a huge area of all the bad invasive annual weeds. You may say ,," Hand weeded no way!" There is a method to most my madness. It preserves the good stuff like the many many elderberry ,poke weed and dogwood trees that are coming in. These weeds, like the Chinese garlic I hand pull won't return for a long while as long as I do it before the go to seed. The roots are shallow and do not regenerate. I have two old brush blinds I've used here over the years.

20210729_094826.jpg 20210729_094801.jpg 20210729_094740.jpg 20210729_094721.jpg 20210729_084803.jpg 20210729_083334.jpg

GregH and arrowflinger1 like this.
  11. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    I had a few hours between things today so I ran up to the property and got the clearing sprayed with roundup that I am going to put winter wheat in. Need rain badly

GregH and oldnotdead like this.
  12. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:

Cut some lanes between bean fields the other day while out checking cams, looking to create some funnels for when the season opens up. The local crop of bucks is looking REALLY good.

13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My land projects have suddenly turned to storm clean up. There are a lot more blown over trees and broken off tree tops than I originally thought. I had to clear 6 smaller ones from my driveway alone. When stashing brush out in the woods I see that there are a couple big ones blocking my trails. The trails I just cleared a few weeks ago! :rant:

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear, I know how your feeling. I have 5 trails blocked with snapped off trees...I've given up. Nothing is getting cleared until Sept. After a while it becomes pointless.
    I get you can't do that in the drive

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    What drives m???' I went shopping and came back with my freezer bag in hand got to door and before unlocking it the new plot called to me. I just left everything at door, grabbed my shoveling and went out back. Today I dug out and pulled boulders. Amazing how what looks like a small surface rock can turn into 2ft by 3ft deep buried pain. I was able to uncover and dig out 8.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plant foodplots for the attraction.
    I really don't like hunting over them.
    My pumpkins/squash are doing great but only because I planted them in an easy access spot where I can water them.

My 5 brassica plots are doomed this year unless me get some rain.

17. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks, seems like it’s always one thing or another….

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    For me it's the work, I am actually driven by the physical labor it takes to make them.

19. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Been that way for about 5 years here, the emerald Ash borer came in and killed every ash tree in the state. We had thousands die on our farm. There’s a tree that falls over a trail or into a field on a daily basis.

20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The most often broken or blown down tree in my woods is the soft maple. This time around there were a few big oak limbs as well. I don't have any ash on the homestead but there are some in the town where my bar is at. The ash borer's have gotten most of them too. I had 4 on my bar property ..... all standing dead. I took them all down before they could fall and damage anything.