2021 Montana bill to bring back outfitters and give them 60% of nonresident tags.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Montana Elk Man, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Montana Elk Man

Montana Elk Man Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is SB143 and the link details what it is about. I have already emailed my representative and senator to oppose this, but I think everyone who enjoys coming to Montana and not having to pay an outfitter thousands of dollars to feed, house, and tell them what they can and can’t shoot to email the creator of this bill as well as our governor and tell them to vote NO on this. If you live in state and oppose this contact your representative and senator and tell them to vote NO. This is not a rich man’s hobby and should be enjoyed by everyone and help out the small towns during these tough times. The hotels, gas stations, bars, restaurants, and grocery stores all benefit from hunting season.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/al...24y72gam-9i5zZ-zSa0JgX8WWLJmBfXe1IY#gs.s0npf0

mhouck06 likes this.
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I emailed all the sponsoring representatives a couple of days ago. I haven't hunted Montana yet, and, I doubt I will if this passes.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been tracking this myself. Hoping it dies a quick death.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    this is awful.

Clearly someone (or several someones) is in the pocket of the Outfitters Guild.
    Whatever economic benefit to be had by the state as income to the outfitters would be offset if not swamped by the decrease in NR hunters and the loss of revenue they otherwise would have brought to the state via tag fees, food, restaurants, etc.

Not to mention, BLM and USFS lands are all of ours -NOT- just Montanan's- and should be free access to all. As such, the lawful pursuit of game wildlife there should be equal opportunity access for all; not just the wealthy.

cantexian and Okiebob like this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad moved to New Mexico about five years ago and has complained about it since he has only drawn a tag once in the last five years as opposed to when he lived in Missouri and drew 3 tags in six years. Pretty sure they are doing something similar. I see both sides, hunting tourism brings in money but it is the local populous that prop up the State Wildlife departments. My problem with something like this bill is that the Reps will side with whomever has deeper pockets which generally means ignoring their constituents.

6. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Copy and past if you feel so inclined. I wrote this and sent it a few days ago. Emails are to all the sponsoring state legislators in Montana.

Good Afternoon Montana Senators,

As a nonresident of Montana who has had the pleasure of visiting but not hunting your beautiful state, I must say that I am extremely disappointed to hear that section 8 of SB0143 stipulates that 60% of nonresident tags must be utilized by hiring an outfitter. I have the hope of hunting elk in every western state. However, if this bill were to pass, it would effectively price Montana out of my budget. I love to DIY hunt public land and hope to do so in Montana. However, at the price of nonresident applications and tags, there will be more plentiful opportunities in other states with elk. I cannot speak for all nonresident hunters, but, if this bill passes, I will spend my money elsewhere. I strongly encourage you think through the long-term negative effects this will have on both Montana's economy and its hunting.

Sincerely,

[email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>

elkguide and dnoodles like this.
  7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More welfare

wl704 likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody hates on Canada and their 100% non resident outfitter law.

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Says who?

10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The province of British Columbia does it that strictly. Alberta has the Hunter Host program which allows an Alberta resident to host international hunters once every three years as a "guide." Go to Alberta more often for big game, and an outfitter is required. Small game and waterfowl can be hunted every year without a guide. I hunt Alberta every three years with my dad. I will be chasing elk there this fall if the pandemic doesn't have the borders screwed up still. Saskatchewan has OTC nonresident tags for every big game species in general units. Draw units are reserved for residents. Not sure about the rest of the country.

11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could have walked across the border.

It's not like you look different and you do speak the language...

cantexian likes this.
  12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Except for the fact that the Canadian-US border is more secure than the US-Mexico border, and, it is because Canadian Border Patrol is actually allowed to do their job, I would try. Although, I have been in the south long enough that I have a hard time switching back to the Canadian accent now. :rant::bash::sad:

13. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Come on. Don't let facts get in the way of me trying to make a funny

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The facts are what make it a joke.

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Repeat after me.

Eh?
    Pro cess.

cantexian likes this.
  16. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Western hunting is big business. Profits are made, pockets are lined.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not true at all. There has been several proposals in western states for reciprocity and parity in fee structures and licenses requirements for both citizen and alien nonresidents. However nobody is willing to kill the cash cow that is nonresident license fees.
    For example last year in WY, they took in app 55 million in license sales and over 45 million came from nonresidents.