2021-22 Waterfowl Season

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by greatwhitehunter3, Oct 1, 2021.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an SX4 and love it! I've used it as a multi-purpose gun. Waterfowl, to turkey, to skeet.

Husband got a Beretta A400 and I like that, too - for a higher priced gun. The recoil on the Beretta is pretty friendly to a smaller person like myself.

TheHardWoods913 and Shocker99 like this.
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another nod for the Sx4. I ran into some Illinois River rats. These guys duck hunt every day of the 60 day season and he was doting on his SX4. Said for the money couldnt beat it. Worked flawlessly. No jams and he put thousands of rounds through it.
    My other buddy has an A400 and loves it. Another has a browning A5 and my uncle has the Franchi affinity that i took to Minnesota on my last trip and loved that. Its like i just need to buy one of each haha

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  3. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't speak to the sx4, retay, or franchi, but I shoot a SBE3 currently and have no issues with it, doesn't shoot "high" for me either like many say it does, but I float my birds and have it shimmed properly. Got rid of my older SBE for the 3 to get rid of the issue of the bolt not remaining in battery if the stock is bumped and this is now a non issue. I loved my a400 also while I had it, but the feel of the SBE was more fitting for me and love the way it shoulders in comparison. Like you said, it's like asking which new bow to get, its all preference really, I'd say try to shoot as many of your buddies guns to get a better idea of what you like and what fits you best. Like @Shocker99 said also, don't sleep on the A5, great gun and regret getting rid of mine a few years ago. Def will be picking another up one day. I am considering going to pick up a SBE3 in a 20 gauge very soon, have been wanting to make the switch to strictly 20g.

Shocker99 likes this.
  4. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep stay away!

5. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    All the old timer guys who were the southern illinois goose gods are now running duck clubs cause no geese. They are like gentlemen clubs that only shoot 20ga. Over unders and only 25yds or less. Im not ready to be that selective Haha!

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say this when I first started at Carlos Avery it was a zoo, crazy busy. Last years of my career (retired in 2020) the usage dropped way down, probably because not much left to kill.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not judging but going with a 20 gauge is like going with a light arrow. I have never heard a duck hunter say I regret hitting those ducks that hard with my 3" mag shells.

8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Yea dont worry im getting another 12 and one that can handle 3-1/2” if i wanna. I primarily shoot 3” shells but i like the option. For them who are guys who have probably each killed 5000+ Ducks in their lifetimes, the idea is that i guess killing ducks is just too easy and they are limiting their killing power and range. My uncle went with them and said they literally watched tons and tons of ducks lighting at 30-40 yds and they dont shoot them. They know where the 20-25yd zone is and only shoot inside the bubble. The main challenge to them is fooling them in close and getting them to land where they want them to land. Not me! :biggun:

TheHardWoods913 and Sota like this.
  9. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    haha, valid points guys and I get it for sure. But I tend to also have the mind set of those old timers...although I shouldn't sometimes because that's usually the deciding factor of missing out on birds and not filling a limit. Some of my buddies get frustrated with me cause im the "let'em work" guy or the "let'em make one more pass" before calling the shot. Something about getting them to do it right and having them feet down in the decoys that really gets my blood pumping. If we do it right, get the birds to work, and take'em in the decoys, a 20 gauge is all ya need. I only shoot 3" shells these days too and that is thanks to Boss Shotshells...this was what made me fond of the idea of going with a 20, esp if we are getting comparable results to lead with the copper plated bismuth choked nice and tight. Can't lie though, pass shooting birds out to 40 yards and stoning them sure is enjoyable too. I must say though, I wish I felt like those old timers and felt it was "too easy" cause there are days, more so than not, where they beat us down and it is everything but easy! haha

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    For sure!! Ive never heard of Boss shotshells. Ill have to look them up

11. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Do it, they are worth every penny! I use to shoot 3" and 3 1/2" 2 shot for ducks and BB for geese. I now shoot 3" duplex 3/5's and 4's for everything for the most part. Just ducks and you're good with 5's too. Have a case of 3's as well, for strictly goose hunts. Game changer though, the denser copper plated bismuth is more like lead so it allows us to have higher pellet counts by going with smaller shot size while having stellar knock down power. Just keep in mind if you give it a try and make the switch, bismuth likes to be choked tight!

https://bossshotshells.com/ BOSS-CPB.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Shocker99 likes this.
  12. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like most of it is its sold out !

13. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, that's the only downside. Esp during Covid where they have had a tough time getting materials. I always just asked to be notified when back in stock and as soon as I get the email, go and order it immediately haha. Got emails this morning for 12ga 3" 3/5's and 4's and I was in a meeting for work. By the time I got off the call and went to the site, they were already sold out!

Shocker99 likes this.
  14. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Im on some waiting lists too ill have to be quickdraw

15. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Chaps.jpg
    Right! LOL

Shocker99 likes this.
  16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up another rig last night for the back water flats of the marsh, 13' South Bay. Happy to add it to my little fleet. Going to give it a little TLC and maybe add a light bar then repaint. Hopefully get that all done soon though cause I'll have to get it grassed before the season. Have to try to apply for a HID# so I can register it though since it's a homemade boat, hopefully that's not a pita. IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

Westfinger and Shocker99 like this.
  18. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    D25F7FB6-D210-4089-9006-AD0311AACDF5.jpeg

45EBFD2A-04C9-4FC9-AD53-105E03A10BA6.jpeg
    went with the black and gray Savage Reneguage. Its a 3” gun but thats all i shoot. Also picked up a savage 220 slug gun with a thumb hole. I love guns

TheHardWoods913 and Westfinger like this.
  19. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    220 is a great deer gun Brandon your going to love it. My wife has taken a couple nice bucks with mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Shared a blind last year with someone from Savage and he had the Reneguage with him, was my first time hearing of it at the time let alone seeing it. Looked pretty good and killed'em dead, it shouldered nicely as well. Only thing is he did have 2 failure to ejects that day, but could have been because they were still working out the kinks or could have been the shells he was using. Enjoy it and let us now how you like it and how it performs! Made the right move on the 220 as well, great gun!

Shocker99 likes this.