2020 planning

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Jan 5, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are yours?
    Mine is to finish up 2019 projects. I have so many trees to cut, many bad trees, dead and dying beech, ash, maple. I still have a few more popular to take out. Cleaning up of the oak flats removing crowding maples. Enclosed blinds to build. This before spring. Tree trimming. A few presets for the saddle. Fencing to finish.
    Planting, well that changes as I think about it but may go back to the cowpeas and sunflowers. I know a March frost seeding will happen . Then there is the corn issue. I have always broadcast feed corn. It has grown great, until year before last. 100#s on a half acre..not one plant came up! Now yes thats a lot but we have mobs of squirrel that are crazed diggers, flocks of wild turkey scratching and pecking. I don't worry about crow, though grackles and robins are little @$%#\%&&\%\$! . Lets not forget cut worms. Even at that they can't account for all the corn not growing. I figured a hotter drying that sterilized it. So I bought a bag after season to feed the squirrel away from bird feeders. They have their own bird feeder with corn only. Saves the feeders and suet for birds. Anyhow pushed a few seeds into the fig tree pots I brought in. They all sprouted and are growing. So I'll give that a go again this year. It always has to go in late, June, because our turkey season is of all of May. Hunting after planting the corn would be like baiting in my opinion. Though I do disc the areas early, those turkey do love a loose soil to dust and bug in . No shortage of all kinds of grubs here.
    Now that all starts this week,weather willing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So many knowledgeable hunters and land managers here. I know my style of posting may turn some off . They tend to be long . Try to get past that, to my goal, getting experiences and goals from others on many aspects of their management and goals.
    Pictures, successes and fails. Out of the box ideas shared by all for all going into 2020.

3. John T.

John T. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Missed the last of this season due to lousy weather this weekend. Going to do some preseason scouting with my grandson and take some photos to sell to magazines, either separate or with articles. Helps support my habits. Nothing out-of-the-box, just plain ol' anticipation and planning. Have some private land and WMAs to hunt close to home. BTW,our church is about 1-1/2 miles from me. Seen turkeys and deer on the property. Saw a hen turkey and called our son to let his youngest daughter see it. When she saw it, "Daddy, can I hold it?"

rknierim and oldnotdead like this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Wow what a great cool day,NO WIND!!!. I sit here in a turkey blind relaxing and considering all the things to be done. Still laying low after this bug Everyone's fighting. Great time to do rock heaving removal. Which I've done a bit today. Cleaning trails. My tractor tires are about shot. Shale tends to heave on its side . Cuts the tires bad. Then planning the liming that will be done soon. Great time to lime kill down plots or new areas to be planted . Frost heaving, rain, snow ect... works lime in well right now, so deeper tillage isn't needed. No lime on established perennials though, not good on winter stressed plants.

20200113_134545.jpg 20200113_134540.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well the bottom dropped out . Single digets last nigt, 20's today. Same over weekend. Not much snow ,so thats good and winds have calmed. Looks like I can trim the fruit and nut trees and brush now.