2019 Turkey Contest - Team 2

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Mar 28, 2019.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Brought my bow to work, heading out this afternoon to try and fill a bow turkey. They seem to be on the move this week, I gotta beat Jedi's 62" bird!
    We have light rain this morning, should start clearing up this afternoon.

2. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    B53D0507-2293-48BC-B52A-D6904A0FD92B.jpeg Mood is set, i was hesitant to put decoys out, but I kind of want to see if they have changed attitudes since last week.
    Sitting in the blind, fingers crossed. Sun is just now making an appearance, hopefully I can hear some action soon.

3. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kill kill kill!

4. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Had 3 hens feeding for about 30min, no luck, heard 3 or 4 toms up on the hill. Try again tomorrow

5. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas, I hate to admit it, but I lost a nice bird this morning. Had a fan mounted to my stabilizer and took a non hunter out with a gobble call. We got him in 15 yards and I made the shot, looked really good and even replayed it 100 times since, still looked good. Well, 1.5 hr of looking and a non trained dog, no bird.
    The guy I took had a blast though, I had him gobble a whole bunch to “talk” with the bird, cool experience, wish I had the bird in hand.
    2 bird I’ve lost with a bow, not bad stats, but I’d rather not lose any.

Had to of been a 234” Tom lol

6. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer about the lost bird but stick with it! That 234" will return.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well how's everything going gents? Took a buddy of mine out last friday and he got his first bird. Nice tom too! 21lbs, 10.5 inch beard and 5/8 inch spurs. He was super stoked and so was I!

Headed out again day after tomorrow to see if I can put some more meat in the smoker. I've had a few more birds show up on the property too since opening day so that's good news too! Best of luck to everyone and hope to see some entries for us on the score thread!

8. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry boys, been busy with the nice weather. checking in. A little bit about my season. I have 3 seasons here in Wi. May 1-7; 8-14, 21-27. Now I'll have to put up a disclaimer that the 1st season I'm mentoring a family friend's 16yo daughter who is still trying to get her first bird. Hopefully we'll be successful our first day out and then it'll be on. I have 2 private places to hunt and have been successful each year, but with shotgun. The largest I shot was 26# 1 3/8" spurs, 10 3/4" beard; so nice toms on the properties.
    I've been seeing alot of birds out lately in the fields on my way home but haven't been to the properties themselves to glass yet. I've seen a lot of birds out in the mornings 8a-10/11. So they are active out here.
    congrats Hillbilly!

9. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry forgot to mention, name is Hank. Hunting SE Wisconsin.

10. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    one more thing, ya'll gotta tell me how to score a bird. Haven't shot one yet with a bow to score. Every year with a shotgun, but none presented close enough with a bow shot.

11. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have been seeing birds all over the place now. Saw 9 total toms yesterday. Heard probably 10-12 different beards roosted in a few spots last night. It is getting to be that time for me! I unfortunately got a couple wisdom teeth out yesterday, practiced calling a tad bit to early in the recovery stage, those holes bled like crazy for a few hours. On a side note, there is a possibility of me making a little road trip to Ohio or PA for a weekend to extend my season this year, dependent on how long it takes me to tag out in NY. Anyone have experience with either state?

12. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, i know im late to the party but just read my go ahed to check in with yall as part of the team...ill get caught up on the thread here asap.

My name is Stacy. I have first season for central WI zone 3....so basically my season starts next Wednesday! I have spotted 7 different toms and roughly 20 hens that visit my thunder chicken spot so far this year...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

cml5895 likes this.
  13. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Hillbilly Jedi and cml5895 like this.
  14. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Junior likes this.
  15. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! I can imagine, especially when you are anxious to get going!
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where at in ohio I live in northwest ohio by state line.

17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't get a chance to hunt this past weekend, I was on child duty. I saw a buttload of birds driving around though. I believe the flocks are breaking up and hens are starting to nest, good news for the coming weeks.

18. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got to hunt, at least part of the day, all 4 days of my weekend. Shot a jake on Thursday so put a little more meat in the freezer and saw the weirdest thing ever that day.

Saw 5 jakes come up the road and then saw some other movement to the left of them. Put up the binos and it was a coyote about 25-30 yards from the jakes. The jakes were actually chasing the coyote off! They chased him all the way up and over the other side of the hill to another property. I knew they could team up and run other turkey's off but never thought they'd actually run a predator off like that. Amazing! The dumb on the jakes part is about 2 hours later when I was walking back to the truck, they had come back and were only 30 yards off the road in the mandarin trees. They didn't run away from me. Now there are only 4 left! Haha!

Junior and cml5895 like this.
  19. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be hunting Northeast Ohio, right over the border basically from PA.

20. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am on a roll this year with gaining access to quality ground. I am 5/5 on permission at new spots that hold birds. I just had my youth hunter over last night to go over a few safety things, talk about the game plan, and shoot my gun a couple times to get comfortable. I never hunt out of blinds so our biggest thing is making sure he sits still which should be no issue. He is really excited, and I am even more excited than him! I have gone 6/7 on getting youth hunters birds in the past, hoping to raise those odds!

Junior and JeffC like this.