2017-18 Days of the Rut

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Sirwill, May 17, 2017.

1. Sirwill

Sirwill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to see some information on the show about this years "Days of the rut". It's almost time to start marking the fall calendar.

Sincerely
    William Twinem

2. Thwackmaster

Thwackmaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In all seriousness the best tool I swear by is the weather. Specifically barometric pressure. Drastic rise or falls seem to be great hunts as well as anything over 30....the higher the better. The moon is on the same cycle and deer utilize their pre-orbital glands to determine estrous cycles and testosterone based on amount of daylight left in the day. Frost and cold weather, changes the make up of food sources, thus changing movement or causing a food frenzy. Ultimatley the movement and best days are correlate nice with the air pressure. Take time to watch and know how food changes, and how a deers diet changes with that and you can be ahead of them. Certain foods are bitter and don't sweeten until frost. Some are high carb that will likely be mid to later season. I spent many years hunting over red oak acorns when they were on red oak acorns. Sitting along s corn field when they needed beans. Dumping out apples when they wanted corn.

I don't Believe I'm 100% correct, i just know I spent years chasing dates on a calendar instead of the details that were right in front of me. I hope it helps a little. I do have to plan vacation days 5 months in advance so I always shoot for nov 5 thru 11th ish here in michigan and indiana....but then I hunt specifically around the pressure and food of the time

802bowlife, kgtech and Justin like this.