2016 pa thread

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by BackwoodOutdoors, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Calling for rain on opening day. At least in the morning.

I'm eyeing up a public land clear cut for my first hunt if the wind is right. Just checked that camera the other day which had bears and a lot of deer activity. Got one pic of a decent buck and I'm sure more will be visiting as it's nothing but oak trees that were left. The rain should keep a majority of hunters out of the woods.

2. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also will be in 1B! Good luck to all. Cooler weather up north and some rain should help get em movin on Monday.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am in Acme, which is about an hour SE of Pittsburgh. I see a few members not to far away.

I was planning to hunt state forest (Forbes) but that will depend on weather. Light rain I will be out, pouring/storms then no.

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I just looked up weather, too. Although it's a few days out - they're saying 80% chance of rain. Looks like morning will be a wash out - but it may clear up in the afternoon. Guess I'll have to get up and see what the weather is doing. I don't hunt in the rain in worry that if I were to shoot something I couldn't track a blood trail.

But, feel confident in my spot. Lots of acorns and a lot of deer sign.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  5. Stephen09

Stephen09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pittsburgh, I hunt mostly 2B

6. BackwoodOutdoors

BackwoodOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of acorns and any of you guys close to the monroeville area interested in teaming up and doing some filming

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not close to the area - but I had some friends in the Monroeville live-in fire department.

Opening day was rainy. Had some breaks in the weather leaving for a partially dry evening - until a monsoon started about 630. I called it early as I was drenched and no way would I try and shoot a deer. Did have three go down the ravine - but never did pop up behind me. This morning is another rainy dreary sit - but I'm at work. Planning on going out tomorrow afternoon.

If everything stays the way it is - I hope to have a turkey come fall season - I have jakes roosted right next to me!

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Ground hunted for the first hour on Saturday on principle alone. Saw a doe and two fawns. I don't think I've missed an opening day in 18 years. I spent the rest of the day out of town. I hope to get back out this week at some point for an evening sit.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    This week went to crap with me. I am hoping to get out tomorrow evening or maybe Friday. 60% chance of rain again on Saturday. Of course.

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll take the 60% chance of rain Sat, because I need that West wind that's supposed to come with it! It's been out of the ENE for almost 2 weeks and it's been killing me.

11. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only ran 1 trail cam this year, my partner got busy and failed to get his 4 out :(
    I did catch a couple shooters on it though

View attachment 71726 View attachment 71727 View attachment 71728 View attachment 71729

opening day where I hunt in 2c was rainfree, spent a few evenings out too, filming with my most amature-ish cellphone :)
    all vids are with my motorola moto x pure w/ 21mp camera that I camo taped up
    IMG_20160930_161443869_2.jpg
    I really need to get a good camera and arm mount !

opening morning I saw 19 deer under the oaks, 3 small bucks, a couple checked out the buck bomb fake scrape I had made (non CWD area)

the evening of the 5th was crazy, different spot than the 1st, it was windy and I was getting away with a lot of movement to film, coming for the acorns I lost track after 20+ deer, again 3 small bucks

0ct 8, 100 yards down the bank from the 5th, they would come into shooting distance then act funny when they didn't see a deer to match the fresh doe pee I had in a scent wick. 1 spike hanging with 3 doe

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I call this buck Ghostface, as you will see why.
    he's the 4 point from the Oct. 5 vid above. this was 100 yards down further than then.
    I got in and climbed earlier @ 3pm. by 3:20 I had does coming in to the acorns, I counted 29 deer in total move thru and up to the corn that was being cut as I sat.

the maple and honeysuckle leaves this buck eats right below me are what I tore down as I climbed, a big testament to the Dead Down Wind spray I wash my hands with before leaving the truck. (along with the full line DDW products of myself and gear)
    I had just handled these with my bare hands an hour before he's eating them.

I had multiple does all around me by this time, and had just put my phone away as he came charging up the hill grunting and checked 3 or 4 does rears for scent, by the time I slowly got my phone out he had chased them off a few yards out of the scene, but I did catch some grunting, turn your volume up :)

full vid of the night is still being edited, but I wanted to get this guy up asap.

13. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, Awk. You've had a very active season so far. I've only seen 4 deer and all have been out of shooting range. Do you have your goals set on a certain deer this year (the shooters you posted?)?

14. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx
    no particular goals, although one of those shooters would be nice,
    just be up a tree as much as possible and enjoy my favorite 45 days of the year :)

15. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have a few short clips from the past week, but nothing worth sharing....until tonight :)

Ghostface came in harassing a doe and yearling, a different wider 4 point than I've seen before followed, and then this what I thought was a decent 6 point tearing up my fake scrape and licking branch. Lucky 7 doe pee and Buck Bomb Young Buck in the scrape, and Draw-N-Hold licking branch juice on the overhead, I'm guessing he liked my combo.
    I drew on him as he turned to leave, but left him walk, hope I don't regret passing on this buck ?
    had I not seen 2 bigger bucks in this area on trailcam, it would have been a tough drag up out of there :)

still editing the 4 gobblers that were under me for 15 minutes...................

16. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    close call tonight, or should I say this afternoon.
    got in stand by 2:30, took 20-30 minute break to cool off from the hike and tree climb, just finished getting fully dressed and pulled my bow up, a doe appeared 45 yards below me, another doe came charging across the flat towards me, followed by a big dark horned 10 point, I grabbed the bow and stood as she crossed 35 yards below me I dialed the yardage on my sight, they stopped but his vitals were behind a tree, I drew and needed her to continue her course so he'd step out, she didn't agree with me and turned down and back where they came from, he turned to follow and headed directly away from me running, then chased her a couple hundred yards out of sight down along the creek :(
    things are heating up, apparently they're in chase mode for that big boy to be chasing @ 3:30 in the afternoon

later, Lucky 7 (his new name) showed up again with his 4 point sidekick, this is twice now I've left him walk away from 15 yards broadside. the wind was swirling bad and he couldn't figure out where the hot doe pee smell was coming from.
    I didn't start filming until I talked myself out of deflating him :)
    one side of the big thick horned 10 would score as much as lucky's full score, hopefully I can catch up with him again ?

17. squidhunter

squidhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in 5C again this year. 2 locations, 1 private (new) and 1 public. Although, I've been focusing on NJ since September. Only sat PA twice so far, both at the new location. I "saw" or heard deer each time, neither producing a shooting opportunity. This new location is presenting problems I've never experienced before, and may dictate changing tactics. We will find out.

18. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I have had no luck this year in 1B. To the point I don't even know if I'll buy a PA license next year. May just go buy IL tags next year and pay to hunt there. So frustrating.

19. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are deer in 1b but it's spotty. Depends where you are in the county, plus I think they want the population down due to car/deer issues.

20. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, for sure they're around. We can spot at night and find a good handful of them (usually posted property) - seen some beautiful bucks lately, too. Just no luck when it comes to sitting in a tree stand. I think my area has too many hunters.