2016 Colorado Elk camp invite!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by soccerdan90, Jan 16, 2016.

1. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I am so ready for these next 6 months to be over with! I need the mountains! Every night before bed I watch elk hunting videos on YouTube. It's become an addiction the last 2 months. I'm slowly getting my gear purchased and the list keeps growing haha.

I need to start shooting more so I can get used to my new multi pin sight. I was way too used to my HHA. Hopefully I don't regret switching back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, I was thinking about you while we were doing some recoil therapy on Saturday.

I still don't know if we can make to camp but I'm trying to be optimistic.

[​IMG]

3. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I could use some recoil therapy right now. Headed to my children in the middle class.

4. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Matt
    I know that exact spot, I got my grouse within a hundred yards of there and somewhere in that picture was where I called in my 7x7 ..... Our secret yeah!

Probably my best 2 days in the mountains were spent trying to tempt that brut in close enough for a shot.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I too was used to my HHA and switched over to a 5 pin. I struggle with it for some reason, but it is getting better!

6. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly what you mean haha.

7. Ben C

Ben C Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely wanting to do this. I've done plenty of whitetail hunting in the past but this is the first year I will really have time to get out and elk hunt since I've been here in Colorado and this seems like it would be a great way to get into elk hunting and to be around folks with some experience. Since I'm only a couple hours away from GMU 45 I'd like to get out there and do some scouting and get a feel for the area before the season. What area of 45 is the camp typically set up in?

8. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear that you plan on making it! Camp is typically held on no name road. It's just south of Minturn.

9. Ben C

Ben C Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, thanks for the info Dan. I'll check it out

10. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    No problem! You will love the camp! I really hope I tag out early so I can swing by for a few days and have a good time! Will has great stories to tell about his many adventures.

11. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    Our camp is on the side of the Road at the turning for No Name Road(705) on Highway 24, a short way from Red cliff .

12. Sparky 1911

Sparky 1911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, this camp is open to anyone right? I don't want to intrude on anybody if it isn't. I am new to elk hunting, and I have always dreamed of going. I thought about making a trip in August and spending a few days getting to know the area. I am just not really sure where to even start! I think going to elk camp with all of you would be a great way to learn anything I can. I would love to even just tag along with somebody if they are willing to let me, just to get some experience. Even if I wasn't even going to kill an elk, i think just spending time on the mountains with someone who has some experience would be great. I would definitely do my part in camp with anything that needs done. Coming from the midwest and hunting deer and turkey my whole life, i think this would be way more addicting! If you guys could give me a little info on this camp that would be great. Hope to hear from you all soon! Thanks!

13. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Get in shape and get your butt out there in September! Everyone is welcome.

14. Sparky 1911

Sparky 1911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been working on getting in shape already and I'll do my best to get out there come September!

15. kcruz35

kcruz35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    unfortunatley I haven't been able to do much on the site for the past few months, but i am extremely excited to do this elk camp!! if there is an official sign up sheet go ahead and put me down! I will be driving from Alabama so if anyone on here plans on going and wants to split gas just pm me and we can set it up.

16. rauge

rauge Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys i was wondering if anyone would pm me a phone number that has been to the camp in the past. I am very new to elk hunting and this seems to be a great way to learn more about how to hunt in the mountains. I am from michigan and will be hunting colorado this year. I am just in a debate on whether this camp is the best option for me or should i just get out there and learn trial by fire.

17. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Pm coming

18. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    This Camp is the reason I am still Elk hunting after 8yrs, even though I still haven't go a kill, the experience and memories from each trip is enough to keep me coming back to Colorado every other year. 2016 will be my 5th trip, get yourself physically and mentally fit, the Mountains will do everything they can to dampen your spirits!
    When I first came to Elk Camp back in 2008, I knew nothing about Elk........ NOTHING!, while on that trip and since, I have studied and read as many books, videos, DVD's, magazines and Forums as possible. Will(iamyourhuckleberry) told me I would have the time of my life out there and he wasn't lying, what I will say is, don't expect a kill, set little goals like hearing a bugle, seeing an Elk, finding fresh tracks or even helping somebody else to carry out their kill, If I even hear a bugle thats my trip made up, I love it.
    It took me 3yrs to call in a Cow Elk myself, it took 4yrs to call in a 7x7 herd bull to 54yds and I still didn't get a shot off....... but always expect the unexpected!, the Elk are there, they are just cleverer than us :).
    As a newbie to Elk hunting, you'll get partnered up with somebody who's been before and has a bit more experience, you'll be given an area to hunt where the Elk have been seen before and the rest will come naturally ;) ...... You will learn so much around the dinner table and camp fire, its a hub of information and you won't regret making the trip.

Also I have made life long friends from this camp, people I have kept in touch with since 2008, 2010, 13 and 14 and so on, friends I look forward to seeing each year I go to camp..... you know who you are :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  19. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Very well put! It's always fun reading your posts on elk because you are crazy about them. Or maybe your just crazy in general and I should be nervous about hunting with you for a week and a half. Lol

20. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just another reminder of a couple skulls found not too far from camp...

One I found about 1.5 miles from road
    [​IMG]

One some buddies found fairly close to camp
    [​IMG]

I know the elk are there...sometimes those sneaky suckers are just hard to find:)