2015 Season Review

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowhunter448, Sep 6, 2015.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2015 Mule Deer Archery Season Review
    Dates: 08/10 - 09/09
    Days Hunted: 8/14 - 8/16, 8/22 - 8/23, 9/5
    Areas Hunted: California Mountain, Saval Ranch (Jerritt Canyon Mine Area)
    Deer Seen: Bucks (18) Does (never counted)
    Deer in Bow Range: 6 (6 bucks)
    Times at full draw: 2
    Shots: 2 (32 yards (miss), 32 yard)
    Shots not taken: 3 (two deer quartered away at extreme angle, one blocked by brush)
    Bucks Taken: 2 x 2 taken 8/14/2015 at 3:15 pm - 17 yard shot (Richard); 3 x 2 taken 8/15/2015 at 6:45 pm - 58 yard shot (Kurt); 2 x 2 taken 9/3/2015 at 11:30 - distance unknown (Marshall); 3 x 2 taken 9/5/2015 at 6:45 am. 30 yard shot

Good:
    • The Jerritt Canyon Mine area has a very nice size deer population. Every hunt had multiple encounters with bucks. There were many ways to access the area and many spots to set up overnight camps.
    • Hunting with teams. Richard and Kurt both have plenty of hunting experience, especially in the area that we were hunting. I was able to glean plenty of information, which really helped me throughout the rest of my season, including my first solo hunt.
    • I learned from my mistakes last year. My stalking skills improved greatly and I slowed down and was able to think clearly with each bow range encounter. The ability to stay calm truly helped with my harvest.
    • Having time off between hunts. By hunting on the weekends, I was able to think and readjust and learn things as needed. I’ve never field dressed a deer before, so I hit YouTube during the week and learned. It was helpful when I harvest my buck on my solo hunt.

Bad:
    • Setting up to hunt on the four wheeler. I had a hard time with keeping gear completely secured throughout the whole time.
    • Frustration. I would get really frustrated after a blown stalk, the missed shot, seeing/hearing of other harvests.
    • Fear of hunting alone. I spent the majority of the season worried about hunting alone. I cut my first weekend short, gave up some vacation time, and just sat around. I finally decided that solo hunting was the only thing that I hadn’t tried before, so my last hunt was a solo one, and it resulted in my first harvest.

Lessons Learned:
    • Don’t doubt yourself. I had major doubts put to rest with my harvest.
    • Don’t try and change how you shoot during the season. That is why I missed that first buck.
    • Four Wheeler Set up. I modified my bow case to be able to get strapped to the front rack. That made driving the four wheeler so much easier.

Carry over for 2016 season
    • Out of position shooting with and without broad heads.
    • Planning. We had a really good plan going into the hunt; we just weren’t able to really stick with it.

Gear List for 2016
    • Better Binoculars

The 2015 season will be an amazing season in my book. I was able to take all the lessons learned from seasons past, and even throughout the season, and put it all together in my first harvest. I have overcome my doubts of being able to hunt alone, or even if I’m a good hunter. This season was trying mentally on the mountains.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Tim!!!!!!!! Awesome to see you connect brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again!