2014 Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Invite

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CowboyColby, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Blue, my all time favorite elk hunting adventure occurred in unit 45, during one of the camps. Good friend Cavan Sullivan (from Illinois) and I set out early one misty morning. We left the truck and packed in about a mile. At that point, three different bulls let out bugles-one from below, one from high, and one from in front. From the deep gutteral growl, the bull above us sounded the most mature, plus the wind was dropping from high to low (downslope). He quickly became our target. He bugled again when we were within 100 yards. It sounded like he was coming towards us. I told Cavan to ready his bow. I watched as he nocked an arrow. We walked another 10 yards when I caught sight of the massive beast (to date, the biggest elk I have ever seen). He duck his headgear under a pine bough. Cavan was directly behind me and to my left-my body was blocking any movement. I heard Cavan come to full draw. I had my range finder and was whispering distance......28,26, 25, 21, 20. At 18 yards the bull stopped. Both his head and butt were behind trees-his vitals completely exposed. I whispered "shoot, shoot, shoot" with as much emphasis as possible! I was expecting to see an arrow impact on the bull's ribs. The shot never came. I felt the wind on the back of my neck...heading right towards the bull. I could see the bull's nostrals flaring from behind the tree. The bull spun and ran back down the hill. He spun again at 24 yards and stared back towards us. He started bobbing his head like a white-tail. He was trying to find the source of the stink! Eventually the bull trotted off. I turn to Cavan to ask why he didn't shoot. When I saw him I immediately started laughing-the "shoot" question was pointless.
    Cavan was shaking like someone had opened his belly and inserted a vibrator. His leg looked like he had been pumping an old fashioned sewing machine. He could not even talk! Finally he said, "if I never see another elk in my life, that right there was worth it." I said, "Welcome to Colorado and your first bull elk encounter!" That bull would have easily push the 400 inch mark. Cavan shot a bull and lost it that year. He killed a bull and recovered it the next.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Huck...did he not have a shot or was so broken to pieces in excitement he forgot to let one fly?

4. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    The latter. LOl...from that distance, I was counting individual ribs. There was nothing but air between the bull and Cavan/me. That bull would have easily blessed my wall had I been alone.

I hunted with a Brit by the name of Gary Rawlings (another near an dear mate who joined us for a camp). Gary missed a 6x6 bull from thirty yards. The beast jumped string and dropped below his arrow. Gary was shooting a PSE Omen the first year that bow came out. Earlier the same day, he blew an opportunity on a cow in a similar fashion as Cavan. It's not that people do not have numerous chances. Rather, it is just difficult to make it all come together, as many will tell you. I try to do everthing but pull the string.....

5. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats all I ask for is a chance! Without even going I can see the experience alone is worth the trip. I would be happy to follow along without a weapon. If the job aspect doesnt get in my way you can count me in. Time to start getting my hands on some elk literature...

6. txmarshmonkey

txmarshmonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Will, I didn't expect that to sting as much as it did when I read it. Oh well, I cant deny it...I locked up. I just hope that doesn't happen again.

I cant wait for the trip this year. As of now there are six of us planning to go. Steve will be back for another round. We gotta get him an elk this year!

I look forward to seeing all the regular old farts and meeting the newbies to camp.

Later,
    Waid - txmm

7. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So do people who r singles go out by themselves or do you pair up? I will be coming by myself for the first time so I dont know the drill.

8. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO...Waid, dang straight you cannot deny it! But hey, that's what makes chasing elk so darn addictive and fun! So many times they are right there in front of you. You have busted your hump for a week, awaiting that golden opportunity, and then they just walk away, right?

I could go on for a month recounting all my encounters...the "what ifs" and the "I should haves" are endless. The one thing I've learned over the years...elk are not easy to arrow, any elk! Again, you will have eight seconds to complete the magic. Mentally and physically, you had better be ready! Don't count points, look for that five inch brow tine. when you see it, pick your spot and let it fly. If you don't, bye-bye. When you learn to successfully and consistantly spot and stalk elk on public ground with a bow, the sky's the limit. Adventure and discovery will forever call you!

Glad to hear you're coming Waid!

frog, we usually pair people up and operate with radios. If something hits the ground, we all make sure it's dealt with to avoid spoilage.

Trev, good luck this fall. We will keep a spot in camp for you, even if you won't be there. I know your hunting ambitions run deep...glad I could be part of fueling the fire. Break a leg Buddy!

9. frogtosser

Dislikes Received:
    which licenses do most guys get and do many people get a mule deer or bear tag?

10. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    If you can swing both deer and elk do it! The code for deer is D-E-035-O1-A (that's "O" one, not zero one). You will also recieve a fishing licenses with your tag. There is plenty of fishing in the area. Bear are there too, plenty. But the bear are hard to get. I have seen four over the years, arrowed one when I had a tag. I believe Matt(Bz) saw a bear up close and personal.

11. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will I sent you a pm with some questions I have. Thanks for what you do.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

12. frogtosser

Dislikes Received:
    So you can just buy the archery elk tag when you get there right? Also, when do most people arrive, I wouldn't get there until Sunday morning probably.

13. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going up Saturday I believe. And yes you can get a tag once here or get one online

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

14. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well my dad is out. He said he doesn't have time in his old age to learn sticks and strings lol. So I will be coming by myself. Hoping to get an elk and deer tag. May just get an elk tag. This is so exciting!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been trying to come up with somewhere to go this season for a week to hunt. Not sure how I missed this thread but I am seriously interested now.

16. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Its a great way to experience elk hunting in an assisted DIY atmosphere. Its amazing the people you meet and stories you here.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

17. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Man...I take a weekend trip with the family, and this thing blows up with interested hunters...I love it!

I need to start back on page 3 and see if I can't help fill up Will's massive wall tents with campers...

18. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    I double checked with him to make sure we have enough room and he said he even has another tent we can put up if needed. And I can bring my tipee too. Nothing better than a full camp

19. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome - if you can't twist any of your buddies arms - make the trip anyway. I traveled solo in 2010 and was best decision I've made. Heck, with you being in KS...you could probably stand along the interstate with your thumb out and someone heading to Elk Camp will stop and get you:)

20. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Andrew - we hope to roll in on the 20th or 21st...hope to cross paths with you for bit! And really hope you have some successful hunt stories to share!