2014 Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Invite

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CowboyColby, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Colby. Looking forward to some more of your great cooking as well:)

Looks like I'll need to get a non resident Mule Deer tag to be able to hunt though. That and or a bear tag.

2. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir I'll be getting a bear tag as well. Hope it works out for ya on the mulie tag. I think the mulie hunting takes a back seat to elk and thats non sense because we always run into mule deer.

3. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings everyone,

Thanks Colb for taking the lead on this. With my busy schedule, I certainly appreciate you getting this years camp rolling!

As always, it's good to see Matt (BZ) in the mix. Here's his story from years past. I have saved the location in "my favorites" on my computer. When I need an elk fix, I go here: http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/16026-my-name-matt-im-elkcoholic-co-elk-2010-a.html

As a group (I can no longer take all the credit), we set camp up in unit 45, an area southwest of Vail and Minturn, Colorado. The camp is both centrally located and within the Holy Cross Wilderness Area, at the intersection of Forest Road 705 (also known as No Name Road) and Highway 24. This area allows for general or "unlimited" over the counter elk licenses. Anyone with the right hunter education safety training credentials can walk into a sporting goods store and purchase their tag OTC. A mule deer tag must be applied for by April 1st. This can be accomplished online at:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/...licensing.aspx

Bring your hunting rig or your gas saving car. Access to camp is extremely easy. During the hunt, we work together to move people around. There are usually plenty of hunting rigs to do this. If you are from England, I usually have a few ATVs on hand for that American "bug in your teeth experience", You can also fly into Denver (DIA) where one of us locals will grab you and your gear. We will transfer you to camp (about a three hour drive) where the fun begins.

Yes, this camp is open for anyone willing to travel. It is essentially my way of giving back to the hunting community-the very same community which has given so much to me.

Pretty much like clock work...

Every other even year, I invite whomever to Colorado to hunt elk. We usually hunt the last week of the Colorado archery season (sometime around the 20th of September). This is a stepped up DIY hunt with absolutely no guarantees in Colorado's Game management unit 45. Stepped up in the sense, we locals try our hardest to make sure everyone has the best time as well as the best opportunity to arrow something. To date, I do not believe anyone has gone home without a sighting and opportunity on a bull.
    I provide camp...cots, the works. You bring your personal gear. We generally kick in shared/split funds for food (approx.$100us/person). Nobody has ever gone home hunger. You will meet life long friends and see a part of the world without investing your lifes savings. That I can promise!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck, if I can drive the tactical prius to camp... That's only about 20 gallons of gas roundtrip. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to do whatever I can to make this trip. I've put it off too long. Is there someone going that would want to car pool to save some money?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Colby....it's looking real good for me to get there this year.... Dan, it would be great if you go, and Christine, I would LOVE to meet you! Cowboy, Scott is looking to attend as well... a little Tineacious get together!!!

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just may throw this out to my dad & our two buddies as an option this fall.

Might be a good idea for our 1st time out :ninja:

8. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Tony that would be great hope you can make it.

Fitz make it happen its a great first time opportunity to see what all it takes and not have to worry about not knowing the area and the hassle of all it takes for camp.

Dan where you from?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

9. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys could sell this anymore would be nice :) Nice run down huckleberry I just moved from 83 to 91 percent in!

10. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Lol somebody put up some trophy pics and blue-collar will be sold

11. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man this is looking like an option for me...I'll read the details better when I have more time but this is a hunt I would absolutely love to attend....PT I sent you a PM brother...thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    PM responded to :D

13. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking forward to meeting some of my fellow bowhunting.com members!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    dang now i gotta go! even if all i can scrape together is gas money, driving out to spend the week in camp away from work would be well worth it. sign me up!

15. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir

16. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Pt, Tenacious will live long and prosper, especially with rhubarb pie! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! Remember to apply for those deer tags!

17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be in the mountains of Montana chasing elk those dates. Would love to share camp with you goons but it'll have to wait a few more years it seems.

Hopefully everybody has the trip of a lifetime.

18. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BZ, You said you packed out an elk 3 of 4 years. Did you mean you got one 3 out of 4 years or someone in the group did?

Kinda trying to get an idea for expectations here. All I really hope is that I am in the ball game and see some elk with one good opportunity at something. I dont expect to be covered up in animals all day long.

Would you say that you usually see elk everyday or some days do you just strike out?

19. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Blue, part of the fun, for me anyway, is hearing the recount of each day's events. Some days are more active than others. A lot depends on where you go in the area...how deep, how high, how low, etc. Last year, I had two bulls within 40 yards for over twenty minutes. One was a 320' six by six. The other was a 270 six by six. A shot would have been a walk in the park, but I opted for only a mule deer tag (Mr. Murphy suxs). We have had gents in camp who report literally being within six feet of bulging bulls. I've been there myself many times. It's amazing how such an incredible beast can paralyze a man in his tracks! Or, they never give the hunter the shot they want! I love the stories of the misses and the missed opportunities. Two years ago, a Texan by the name of Waid Ray(Txmarshmonkey) had six cows and a bull walk through a clearing less than thirty yards in diameter. He was kneeling in the middle of said clearing. The bull walked right past him and he never drew. I asked,"why didn't you draw?" Waid's reply, "I was afraid the bull was going to get away." I said, "Waid, the bull did get away!" and then laughed my a$$ off. LOL...Waid has killed both a bull and a muley.

As far as expectations, hunt hard and you will see both deer and elk. Killing them with a bow is a challenge, There is no doubt about that! I would hate to blow smoke and the best I can say is, get in the best shape of your life. It can only help! Staying positive (critical in my opinion) will get you out and keep you there longer! Eight seconds is what it takes. Be ready for it! There are no guarantees other than you will have fun!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  20. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just found this thread and am drooling at the thought of doing this. I have been doing a lot of research on elk hunting for next year because I didn't have a group to go hunting with. I am all archery and from the guys I have talked to locally that travel west say there is nothing better then an elk hunt up close and personal. I just have to start cardio again.