2014 Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Invite

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CowboyColby, Feb 27, 2014.

1. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin is a good guy. He is the area rep for PSE and my father in law is a dealer so he brings the new bows out each year. That guy is thinking about hunting 24/7 and is fun to be around.

2. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Drawing a muzzle loader tag could be a challenge and is does end one day after our camp is set up. But if he got it he is more than welcome in camp. You can make it as hard as you want hiking/terrain wise.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Colby for the heads up.

Im hunting Elk on some private land Sept 13th-17th up near Hayden, CO but hope to get down to Unit 45 afterwards. I may miss guys showing up after the 20th but I can help Will with the set up and get a few hunts in.

I went in 2012 with my buddy Bert but missed 2013 and although we were both a little under the weather that year we had a fantastic time and I plan to go every year. If either of us had a Mule deer tag we could of taken a nice 8 point within the first 10min of our first hunt and, another 12 point on the 4th day:-/

Will, Colby, Matt and all the other guys are the real deal and are just fantastic people. I never even knew these guys till I met them at No Name and now I'd give them the shirt off my back and I'm sure like wise.

PS. I had a hog nice hog hunt planned with Aussie John in Dec but I came down with a case of pneumonia and had to cancel on him. Sorry John but I'll make it up to you.

4. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Meeting like minded people that share the same hobbies is always fun. Hope to see you in September Andrew and hope you have great sucess on your hunt.

5. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Now I totally want to go this year! I am way out of shape though. Think I might be able to get in shape in 7 months. I saw something about qualifying for crossbow. Can someone explain? I would love to bring my dad but he would have to use a crossbow. He will be 68 by then and had rotator cuff surgery so drawing a bow is out of the question.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody can attend this camp?

7. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Second thread I've read on going elk hunting tonight and now there's almost no way I can talk myself out of going besides not being able to get the funds situated to be able to partake in this adventure!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've attended Will's camp twice(2008 & 2010), in fact it was Will who got me into Elk hunting in 2007, when he invited me to his 2008 Camp and I try to make it a bi-yearly thing. On both occasions I got to meet some great friends and had some fantastic experiences, this camp really is a great way to get into Elk hunting. Will is a fantastic host and with some of the Guys I know are going this year, its gonna be very entertaining. There will be enough previous hunters there to share out the knowledge of the area, so get the dates booked and we'll see you there in September.

Here are my previous experiences, showing the camp layout you can expect and also the terrain you will be hunting. Enjoy!

My first Elk hunt experience with pictures - HuntingNet.com Forums

britishbowhunters.freeforums.org ? View topic - 2010 Colorado Elk Camp

9. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dave - I've read those stories many times...but sure enjoyed them again! I forgot how many elk you all got into in '08...fantastic! And each of your pictures are just great and "take me back" to that area I've grown to love so much. I could camp/hunt out of that camp for the whole month season and still not get enough...

10. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
  11. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well you guys sure got me fired up about this. I have a few logistics problems though. 1. I am on a contracted job that ends May first. Not sure how my job search and asking for a week of vacation right of the bat is gonna go over, but I will try. 2. Muzzleloader and your camp do not really overlap and I have always talked about doing this kind of trip with my father. He would still go just to see the sights but he thinks he would slow me down if he actually tagged along for the hunt with no weapon. I always imagined us talking strategy up there and the looks on each others faces after a "one that go away" scenario.
    3. I was never really the guy to go for a long jaunt on public land for Whitetails in WI when before we got some land, and I am not so sure how reluctant I would be to wander by myself out there if my dad truly thinks he would be better of site seeing at his own pace than pounding the trails with me.

4 . I really really want to go!

12. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Yes Sir

13. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:

Understandable. Muzzleloader is only two days of our camp. You can make it as rough or as easy as you want terrain wise. Obviously the deeper you get the better your odds are. There would be other guys there you could team up with that have been there before. Job wise do what you have to do the job market is tough now a days. This camp will be available in 2016 also.

14. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm officially planning on making this trip as soon as I find out if I can talk a couple of my buddies into going with me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to talk to my dad this evening about it. We might have to wait until the 2016 one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good guys stay in touch and let me know if there is anything you need.

17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on what tag(s) I get here in UT, and how the hunting goes... I may come out and crash the CO camp. :)

18. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    That would be great Christine. If nothing else stop in and have dinner with us he your in the area.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

19. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    The guys always behave them selves better with a lady in camp

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

20. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    My appologies Christine I read that wrong. I thought you were traveling through on your way to Utah. You are already there. Yes if you tags don't work out come on over. If you need more info directions etc. let me know. Good luck hope to see you there