2014 Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Invite

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CowboyColby, Feb 27, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, silk sock liners are on list and you and everyone has said that now! I may look into those boots if it means I get to stick a pig of a mulie like you did haha!

Yeah Tenzing, Badlands and Alps Outdoorz are the main three brands of bags I'm looking at. Good call on the GPS Unit...have to keep my eye out for one to buy or at least someone to borrow one from.

2. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    :) You are a beast (mean that in a good way!)

In all seriousness though a couple guys I know say if dry conditions a solid lightweight pair of normal hiking shoes/sneakers are better than their waterproof stiffer hunting boots...any truth to that?

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's heck on shoes.
    [​IMG]

:D

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of truth. You want your feet to breathe. Don't even look at hunting boots. Just look at hiking boots. Hunting boots cost more anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Tyni, I think it really depends on the person. I have issues (shut up Dan), I'm half Japanese so I have mostly flat feet and I have over-pronation and an old ankle injury. The flat feet means, for me, shoes are much more comfortable and better fitting than stiff boots. On the other hand my ankles like the support of the boots. In the end, I usually go with foot comfort over ankle comfort.

I also don't mind wet feet and I seem to tolerate cold feet better than most. So there's that too.

6. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, Christine has old feet.

7. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I am old. :(

I've also killed more deer, elk and antelope than you. :p

8. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Less issues then frogtosser

9. frogtosser

Dislikes Received:
    Whaaaaaat?!?

10. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Love seeing this stuff!

Do not let gear be the reason you miss 2016...you could go this year if that was the case. All the best gear is just nice to have - not required.

My first year I spent about $130 on great boots, about $70 on a Cabela's pack, borrowed a crappy cot, used my 25year old sleeping bag, ate out of cooler and had the time of my life. Smartphones are more than capable for your GPS.
    Any whitetail bow will kill an elk (again, if you can do better and tweak your system great) but don't let that stop you from going. I advise against spike camping your first year - enough to learn without it...and big tent camping is fun.

Sign up at Sierratradingpost.com if you haven't already - all my gear is from there at some majorly steep discounts.

I'm the guy that loves to offer advice as so many others have helped me...and then I disappear once we're at elk camp and I'm anti-social:) But I promise I'll share a beer/cocktail with anyone in camp from now on...I'll even buy!

Lastly - be WARNED the same I was - be prepared to become fully addicted and you'll be planning your next elk hunt on your drive home from each elk camp!

God willing I'll be around elk camp in 2016 and 2018...

11. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice Matt.

12. DarkTimber

DarkTimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    She has the right idea. Plus, the elk are more attracted to pink :cool:

3 years ago, I switched to using trail running shoes for hunting. Lifting light trail running shoes over deadfall is less exhausting than lifting a heavy boot. The army did a study on footwear weight and fatigue. The study may interest some diehard heavy boot wearers. Trail runners don't usually work for people with past ankle injuries or people with weak ankles. Those people tend to need ankle support or must do weekly exercises that strengthen their ankles.

Trail runners also give me more agility to go up >30 degree slopes.

On average, I hike about 2-4 miles each day while hunting. It is a mix of easy, moderate, steep & super steep terrain. I hunt the unit every September for 15-18 days in trail runners. Including when it snowed 2 inches in 2013 for the last weekend.

I have goretex and non goretex versions of the same trail runners. Non-goretex dries out faster, therefore, I use those more.

Anyone sold of pink trail runners for their next elk hunt? You have 14-15 months to try out trail runners before your next elk camp. Give your ankles time to build strength before giving up on them.

Will does a great a camp. He is extremely generous to do this for all of you. I hope you all are able to make it in 2016.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Sounds like a plan...I'm of a similar mindset...will probably swing for both a lightweight hiking boot and a weatherproof heavier set if weather turns south.

10-4! Thanks!

bz_.....you can be anti-social with me...just pass some of your "luck" my way in the form of advice and I'm good! :D

I won't let the gear slow me down, if I have to I know I can make due with what I have now or could borrow....the cost of the trip tag+food money+travels is far cheaper than doing this in any other fashion but still a chunk of money for this hoosier boy (starting a family soon). However, I'm gonna try and make 2016 a serious chance...if anything I may just buy a Mulie tag in 2016, learn the area and ropes...maybe tag along with a group Elk hunting to watch and learn and come 2018 more money saved, experienced more and go after some Elk!

We'll see fellas, Lord willing I want to make this happen! Appreciate all the advice already!

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forget gear, use what you have ...buy a tag and just go.

15. frogtosser

Dislikes Received:
    I bought way to much stuff last year, honestly half of it I left at camp. I've been hearing more about guys using the trail shoes so I'm gonna try that this year. I would recommend a water bladder though because you dehydrate fast in the high altitude, couple more months and I'll be there again. This year I'm just getting an elk tag, I'm saving my deer tag for next year.

16. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys thanks for ruining me again with all this elk talk! Not enough vacation time with the new gig to make anything happen this September.

17. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be going back in 2016. Too much stuff going on this year to swing it. Glad to see more people are getting interested. It's a blast! After your first couple days out, you will end up cutting your pack down some. But don't let gear hold you back from coming. Like Dan and others have said, good pair of boots, some rain gear, and a comfortable sleeping bag and you are good to go.

18. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right there with you Pat! I just switched jobs a few months back and vacation time is limited. Plus my wife would probably through a fit if I went 3 years in a row! Hahaha. Decided 2016 would be good so I could meet up with that crazy English man again! He is one crazy dude.....

19. carbon-arch

carbon-arch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This sounds like fun. I take it this is open to anyone?

20. frogtosser

Dislikes Received:
    Sure is, and I'm lucky enough to have 3 weeks vacation and by 2018 I'll have 4, unless I move out west by then and then it won't matter.