2013 Whitetail Goals / Hopes ....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Aug 8, 2013.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Seven or Eight

No minimum size. It will be based on how it makes me feel when I see him walking in.

As soon as possible.

No.

Yep. Private land in Kentucky. :D

2. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me: Have a great time and not get injured!

Friends: I have 2 friends that I have gotten into bow hunting this year. They are both shooting awesome and scouted their properties hard in late winter/early spring. Neither has been on their properties since May (turkey) hunting. They both know they have plenty of deer as they tag out in gun season opening day every single season I have known then (26 years) so I expect them both to have success.

Dad: My Dad's largest buck ever is a 1.5 yr old 5 pointer. The last 2 years he has lost a 10 pointer and a 150"+ buck during gun season which is the only season he deer hunts. We lost access during gun season to a really good piece of WI land so I am hopeful of a good buck in northern IL that I am following. Hopefully he remains in the area after the summer pattern shifts.

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! I never thought about it before but it's not really possible for me to actually tag out. I can't stand the thought of having to stop hunting while the season is still in.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is to shoot one 4 year old buck or older. For me that's a legitimate achievable goal.

My other goal is to enjoy every day spent in the field and to come home safely to my family after each hunt.

If I can pull of of that off I'll chalk this season up as a success. Any more than that's a bonus.

5. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope to shoot 6-7 this year .
    Bow season 2 bucks and 2-3 doe . usually end up killing the first 3.5-4.5 year old buck that excites me but have never filled my last buck tag.
    Riffle season 1 buck 1 doe with the pistol .

I have several people that I try to put on bucks but my main goal is to put the youngest daughter on the 170" buck she messed up on last year . She had just asked me an hour ago if he's still out there , Think she's as ate up with deer huntin as I am :)

6. Van

Van Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    4 deer total. 3 doe 1 buck. 1 doe from each property I hunt.

No specific guidelines as to the buck. But at least 3.5

Spend as much time in a tree as possible.

Oh yea, and help my team won the 2013 BH.com contest crown!

7. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Considering I just started bow hunting late October last year, I would like to shoot my first deer this season.

8. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our gang of 6 to take 35-40 baldies, 6 mature bucks. We have a 1 buck/ hunter/year rule. I will hunt 10 days of the bow rut and 8 days of the gun season and won't take anything less then 150. Last year I spent 146 November hours in a tree, passing over 100 bucks. I spend my time taking notes on spring tree plantings, visual screens, waterholes, ect. I took out a badly wounded 12, thanks Rage, from our hunter during bow, burning my tag. Expandables are now not welcome on my place as he did this twice in 2 weeks. My Son put the first one in the book with a hellrazor. After 63 hours in a tree gun hunting I took out a 2 1/2 year 8 who had a broken rear leg with 2 minutes left in my hunt before I headed to the Gopher game. December baldie hunt will be super fun testing loads, calibers, ballistics, ect. Then it's prickly Ash patrol with Garlon4 and Diesal fuel.

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Added characters.

10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The goals for Britney and I...

Britney's first buck bow kill is most important.

Britney filling her Youth Buck tag with rifle or bow ( probably rifle ).

I will have two buck tags and hope to fill both with bow. Will use rifle on one if it is out of bow range and a buck I want to kill.

We kill 4 bucks over 150. Not many in my area have killed a buck over 150... rifle included. Very, very few have killed two over 150. It is a lofty goal to take down 4 in one season.

Britney can kill any buck she wants and I will be just as proud. We have been scouting our arses off and covering a lot of ground. This year is shaping up real nice for big bucks so we are going for it... especially early season. I would like us to have 2 or 3 bucks on the ground by September 30th.

Really looking forward to hunting season. Going to be EPIC as Britney is ready to do some slaying.

11. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To not crap on my grunt call and to remember my arrows when I go hunting.

12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a 140" buck minimum
    Shoot at least 2 does
    Get my friend his first bow kill and my wife her first deer ever

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many total deer are you looking to kill? 4 (2 in PA and 2 in OH)

What size buck is your minimum to receive an arrow? In PA, at least an 8 as wide as his ears has always been my standard. In Ohio... 130" +.

Is there a date you are looking to take a buck? (eg. Halloween, Birthday, etc) Whenever the opportunity arises.

Is there a child or person you are looking to put on a deer? Hoping my best friend can get on a good deer this season.

Is there a new place you will be hunting (in state or out of state) where you will be looking to fill a tag.. Ohio. First time hunting there and judging by the pics from the Outfitter... I'm stoked.

14. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First time out, so enjoy the hunt and learn for next year and the year after that. I only have a buck tag, so I'd like to fill it, but only if I get a comfortable shot. Would be really thrilled to remain calm and get a good sneak in also.

15. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wanna kill 10 + whitetail deer at least one buck over 130".

I also am trying my hand at sika hunting this year so I would like to drop a hind or stag size is of no concern.

I've gained access to some good places and have scouted like crazy this year. If I kill a nice buck early I'm gonna go on a doe killing spree.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kill a deer with my 6 year old at my side
    Kill the biggest buck that frequents my property however big that may be.
    Kill another deer on public land for meat.
    Have my wife shoot her first deer during gun season.

17. MNp&y

MNp&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want a 140+ inch buck and two does with the bow this year!

18. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll add I'd also like to kill the buck I call Pillager I had 3 separate encounters with him last year. Not gonna be an easy task. It's really the first buck I have had a history with and my first target buck. This is the first time I put I cam up in the area he frequents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So far I've already accomplished one goal for the season, and that was to get permission to hunt two more pieces of private land. I now have four properties to chose from and all of them look pretty promising this year. But my goals for the 2013 bow hunting season are:
    -Shoot at least 2 does
    -Shoot my first buck with a bow. I dont think I'll be too picky with size/age. I just want him to be at least 6 points more.
    -If I do shoot my first bow buck, I want to shoot another that is bigger than 100 inches

20. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can only get one tag in ND this year. I'd like to take my biggest buck yet with it. It won't take a monster but will have to be a nice one for this area. 135" will do.