2013 MT Public Land Elk

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Backcountry, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This elk season started much like any other. I had spent months scouring forums, researching maps, and putting boots to the ground. I had scouted an area that was healthy with sign throughout the summer and a place I was sure would produce. Three weeks before our season opened a massive fire erupted effectively closing down any and all access to my “Honey Hole”. Fortunately, with joint efforts the blaze was beat back and my access was again opened with a week to spare.

Opening morning found me red eyed and cruising up the mountain in the dark of night. I arrived at my gate two hours before daylight. My plan was to head in on an old logging road and get setup up in a saddle that was an easy three miles in. This, however, was quickly put on hold with the discovery that I had forgotten my release at home. Rookie. Down the mountain I go and then back up. The rest of the day followed in the same fashion as I battled alder brush, torrential rains, and zero sign. Oh well, I can cross this spot off the list.

The next few outings produced much of the same luck. Good looking country with a meager amount of sign. Not what I was hoping for. Going into the second week of season I knew I needed to find some more solid ground to build on. After going over more maps, talking with a co-worker, and consulting with my hunting partner, Josh, we landed on a spot to try.

Our anticipations were high when the headlights went out at the trail head. We had arrived about thirty minutes before daylight yet elected to wait for shooting light before we headed in. The rising sun brought us exactly what we were after... Lush meadows, high lodge pole ridges, and anticipation to follow. Our first few hours were spent heading deeper into the area and sending out some pleading location bugles. After several failed attempts to locate a vocal elk we elected to pick yet another location to call from and catch a quick bite.

We got settled into a comfortable position and I sent out a few locators. Nothing. We chewed down a few protein bars avoiding the fact that we had yet to cut any concrete sign. Twenty minutes into our sit everything changed, we heard a bugle. At first we were unsure of its original location or if it was even an elk. We had only a few minutes to wait as he bugled again. Definitely an Elk! We quickly grabbed our gear and headed off the mountain in the bulls direction. After another bugle we pinned the bull to a ridge across the meadow from our current location.

We made haste to where we thought the bull was and setup. Josh sent out a few cow calls to be returned in complete silence. I grew impatient and threw out yet another bugle. The bull instantly answered with a grunt and a dozen chuckles. He sounded within a few hundred yards. We moved towards higher ground to gain the thermals and stopped in a good looking spot where Josh let out another bugle.

This time we did not get a vocal answer. Instead, the bull finally committed and was on his way in. I knocked an arrow and jumped down the hill fifteen yards and got setup. I had no more than stopped when I caught four black legs coming through the trees. The bull turned and headed straight towards me. I drew my bow and readied for the shot. The bull was on a collision course with me and it was apparent it was not going to change. I had a small opening in front of me at ten yards. When the bull neared this I let out a small mew and he stopped in his tracks.

I caught a slight flash of my fletchings as they covered the ten yards and disappeared into the bulls chest. He quickly whirled and took off. Josh and I met this with a slurry of cow calls and bugles. He stopped just out of sight for a few seconds before we heard a loud crash and silence. After the longest 30 minutes of my life we snuck down to inspect the shot location. We found the first blood about 15 yards out and it was instantly clear that he could not have gone far. Thirty yards later we found my bull piled up against a log.

[​IMG]

After several pictures and hand shakes we got to work on the elk. We quickly got him quartered, bagged on were on our way for the two and a half mile trek to the truck. Nearly 9 hours after the shot we trudged to the truck with our final load. We were done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This hunt could not have happened without a tip from my co-worker, Steve, and of course the calling and support of Josh. I also have to thank my family and wife for the constant support over the past few years. Now onto paying it forward to Josh and preparing for next year.

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great bull and great story.

3. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man that is awesome.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story. Congrats dude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!! Great write up and pics!!

6. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great read, an congrats on a good bull!!

7. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome. Congrats on a fine bull:tu:

8. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story,thanks for sharing. An elk has always been something on my bucket list.

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Dude that's a Dandy!! congrats man, loved the story to :) ps:: if you don't want the back straps, send em to me !!!

10. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a nice Bull!

11. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again on that bull, he is a beauty! Great story to go with it too.

12. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the bull. from reading your posts its obvious you put in a lot of work into it.

13. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. Very nice.

14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a successful season. One of the most rewarding hunting experiences you can have in my opinion, is calling in a bull elk and taking it with a bow. Good work.

15. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the elk!

16. SMG

SMG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. Great bull.

17. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! It definitely was a memorable day. Dropped the head off at my beetle guy tonight and also enjoyed some elk chili with the burger for dinner. Incredible!

18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    good story
    good pix
    great bull

19. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Sir! Very nice bull and story!

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome read, and great looking bull. That's some beautiful country.