2012 BH.com After The Shot Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slider46, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Figured I'd start this thread since the original idea was started by NEW61375 (http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?39972-Autopsy-Thread) and a few members seemed to like it.

The idea here is to have every kill documented with one titled post. The information will be especially helpful to novice and seasoned hunters alike. Real-world results hold much more value than "what might happen" when you take that shot.

The author of each post should have at least the following information:

1. Hunter/Date/Time/Location
    2. Pictures - entry & exit wounds; internal damage.
    3. Equipment Specs - bow & broadheads used with bow and arrow specifications.
    4. Shot Info - shot angle; shot distance; deer reaction.
    5. Trailing Info - arrow/no arrow; pass-through or not; description of blood trail; distance traveled; etc.

**Authors should make one post and one post only and update the post as necessary. This makes the information easier to follow and read.

Ideally, pictures should be included. If you don't have pictures but can describe with moderate detail, the "aftermath" of the shot - that could work too.

So lets get to it! Post up your kills from 2012!

2. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doe 9/15/2012
    Temp- 65 degrees
    Shot- 6:15pm
    Recovered- 6:30pm
    Distance- 30 yards
    Body position- broadside
    Tracking distance- none
    Hoyt CRX32
    QAD Exodus 100gr broadhead

This doe came in from behind me and worked around a watering hole. It stepped out broadside at 30 yards and I made the shot. It was a little high in the shoulder and she dropped in her tracks. I thought I severed her spine but when I was dressing her I found that I caught the very upper portion of the lungs. It was almost a complete pass though. When she dropped the arrow backed out a little and broke. The spine was intact so I'm not sure why she dropped so quickly. It kind of pinned part of the shoulder so she really couldnt use her front legs much.
    Edit- forgot to mention I put another arrow in her to be safe when I thought I spined her. That entered at about where the white hair meets the brown and exited to the right of the spine as you can see in the first picture. That arrow passed through the rear of the right lung.

[​IMG]
    Entry hole
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Exit hole
    [​IMG]
    Broadhead
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ whats with the cut across the top of her back?

4. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Figured I'd start this thread since the original idea was started by NEW61375 (http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?39972-Autopsy-Thread) and a few members seemed to like it.

The idea here is to have every kill documented with one titled post. The information will be especially helpful to novice and seasoned hunters alike. Real-world results hold much more value than "what might happen" when you take that shot.

The author of each post should have at least the following information:

1. Hunter/Date/Time/Location
    9/7/12
    9/20/12
    2. Pictures - entry & exit wounds;
    internal damage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. Equipment Specs - bow & broadheads used with bow and arrow specifications.
    Mathews z7, 65 lbs, 27 in draw, 125 grain ramcat broadhead, 400 Easton axis N-Fused arrows.
    4. Shot Info - shot angle; shot distance; deer reaction.
    9/7: 15 yds slightly quateting away, she fell got up ran 40 yds and piled up.
    9/20: 20 yds broadside, mule kicked ran the pan handle and piled up 30 yds from impact.
    5. Trailing Info - arrow/no arrow; pass-through or not; description of blood trail; distance traveled; etc.

Both pass throughs, both high/low blood spray, both expired in under 50 yds.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    *Picture heavy warning*
    1. Hunter/Date/Time/Location: Me. Oct 16. Central IL
    2. Pictures - entry & exit wounds; internal damage. See below.
    3. Equipment Specs - bow & broadheads used with bow and arrow specifications. Bowtech Equalizer 40lbs, 26" draw. Muzzy 3 blade 125 gr original style heads.
    4. Shot Info - shot angle; shot distance; deer reaction. From about 15' in a tree, 24 yards to deer, deer intially ran then stopped and dropped.
    5. Trailing Info - arrow/no arrow; pass-through or not; description of blood trail; distance traveled; etc. Pass-through, sparse blood trail for first 20 yards then it was good last 20 yards. Deer went 40 yards after shot so trailing wasn't needed but I did just for kicks.

The arrow. Blood-soaked to the point of being drippy. Red not pink, not very many bubbles. This is double lung hit in which at least one major blood vessel was cut.
    [​IMG]

Several views, hide on of the entrance/exit..

Exit.
    [​IMG]

Exit.
    [​IMG]

Entrance.
    [​IMG]

Here are the entrance and exits without the hide, backstraps and shoulder.

entrance.
    [​IMG]

exit
    [​IMG]

Entrance and exit holes viewed from inside the chest cavity.
    [​IMG]
    (no this deer doesn't have TB, that corn cob grit)

What I want the newbies to take away from these pictures... is aim low. This shot while,, it was a good, solid hit.. really is just inches away from being a spine shot. I aimed lower but the deer dropped a bit. (which is another reason why I aim lower)

Also, you can see that you can hit higher and still make it into the chest cavity if the deer is close and the arrow has steep entry angle.
    On a deer out a ways, where the arrow strikes almost horizontal... it would be easy to put the arrow up above the chest cavity. Those are usually the so-called 'no-man's' land' hits.

6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunter: me.
    Time and date: 9:03am 10/18/2012.
    Deer: button buck (first bow kill)
    Equipment: 2011 Prime Centroid, Rage chisel tip 2 blade Easton Flatline DOA.
    Shot angel: 20' up 12yd perfect broadside.
    Shot placement: top of right lung, top of heart and bottom of left lung. Entered from the right side.
    Penetration: pass through and 5" into the ground.
    Blood trail: nasty! I could see it from the stand. Splattered on a tree and I had no problems following the blood right to its resting place. When the arrow hit I saw blood poor out instantly.
    Distance traveled: 40yd or less.
    Deers reaction: hit, turned and ran. No jumping, ducking or anything.
    Internal damage: cut a 2" path straight through everything.
    Blood splatter on the tree:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351029495.627516.jpg

Broad head, yes it is cleaned off but only dirt was on it an I did put a new O-ring on it:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351029699.918387.jpg

Exit hole I forgot to take a pic of the entrance but, it looked pretty much identical:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351029797.333953.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351029936.492446.jpg

7. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Although I didn't get to actually get my hands on my deer (see here) - I did shoot one and wound up trailing it for a few hours last weekend. I know where I hit the deer and the trail was interesting so i'll post here even though I don't have any pictures.

Slider46 - 11/3/12 - 8:55am - Carroll County Maryland - 6 point buck.

Equipment:
    High Country Archery Extreme
    27.5" DL
    61 lbs
    27" CX Maxima Hunter KV
    Killzone 100grain COC tip

Shot Info:
    From a treestand about 15 feet up. Buck was at 14 yards; broadside. Stopped the buck with a "meep". Used my 10 yard pin and and aimed a little too low resulting in the arrow nicking the elbow bone and getting about 4-5 inches of penetration into the body. Deer immediately took off at a dead run, tail down, slowed about 50 yards away then ran over the ridge out of sight.

Trailing Info:
    Arrow fell out about 10 yards from the point of impact. Had bright red blood, fat and white hair on the arrow. Sparse blood until about 40 yards into the trail then good blood - no bubbles. Trail went about 150 yards towards some houses then left, down a ravine and up the other side behind a house. The buck bedded and was jumped by a nearby lawnmower/tractor. Still good blood - now with bubbles. Buck doubled back all the way back to my stand and crossed in front. Blood was steady and small pools were consistent. Some bubbles and chunky tissue. Possibly clipped a single lung and artery / muscle. More blood in areas where the deer jumped or bounded and when going along a hill or uphill. Followed the trail about 100 yards along a ridge then he went down to the bottom of the hill. Blood got spotty until he crossed a log - blood everywhere. Lost blood after that - he went another 40 yards into some thick brush.

I can only assume he died there. All I found was a gut pile.

8. Alpha

Alpha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my doe.jpg

my hog.jpg

110 lb doe shot at 12 steps 15 ft up busted both front shoulders ran 25 yards and piled up all but 4inchs of arrow hung up on the shoulder (kept it from a pass thur) 65lbs Rage 2 blade victory V1 350

182 lb boar hog shot 23 yards ran approxmentally 70 yards busted 4 ribs 13.5 inchs penetrattion 70lbs Rage 2 blade victory V1 350

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. Alpha

Alpha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hog blood.jpg
    blood off the little hog i killed.... ran 40 yards ill have to get a piv of it... clean pass thur 18 steps