2008 Hoyt Katera

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by racewayking, Jul 26, 2008.

1. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say I am impressed with my new Katera. I was using an old PSE Fire Flite that saw 8 years of action and many stories of success and a few failures.

I shot a lot of bows until I was forced to shoot this thing. I saw the 6" brace height and said there was no way I wanted to shoot the dang thing. After a little coercing I shot it and was simply amazed at the smooth constant draw cycle and how smooth it shot. I ordered the bow in 80# and waited for what seemed an eternity until I finally got it.

I have the Katera maxed out at 82.2# and 28" draw length. The bow is often ripped for being heavy but the overall weight with accessories is not bad and feels comparable to other bows. I threw on the old reliable Trophy Taker Rest and an APEX Atomic 4 Pin Sight. I have heard a lot of bad talk on Apex but I have to say I really love the site so far and have had no issues. To top it off I bought the ghetto combo pack Trophy Ridge Stabilizer and Wrist Sling. I also installed a receiver clip for a Kwikee Kwiver because I am a cheap bastard when it comes to quivers.

Performance so far is in line with what I was expecting. I have a set of Easton Nano's that weigh 403gr., this puts me at 4.9 gr. per pound, a little under but no worry for a Hoyt. These arrows zing at around 309-311fps.
    I also have a little heavier setup with 125gr. heads weighing 428gr. These Nano's are shooting around 303-304fps. I was going to try it with some aluminum arrows but decided to wait until I grew a mullet.

I still have some minor tuning and tweaking to do but so far the bow shoots great. My loop is a little long and I might need a kisser to keep my anchor point consistent but other than that the bow rocks. Here is a pic of the new rig, I love the APG Camo!

[​IMG]

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lovin mine as well Drop.

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It still isn't out shooting my Vectrix!!! Think it is more the shooter then the bow though!

4. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Call Sure Shot and ask them about my Katera. It was set up with the rest 1/8" to the right off center, the arrow wasn't sitting level and the rest was too high. The cams were also out of alignment and the bottom one was over rotating. Not to mention the loop was 3/4" too long. I now have it dialed in and shooting sweet.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ya whatever. You just need to get out and shoot with me now! Think you should call in sick next sunday!

6. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I do need more shooting time before the season starts:d