2 Deer Down During This Year's Rut

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Weekend Woodsmen, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Weekend Woodsmen

Weekend Woodsmen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year during our annual rut vacation we managed to get 2 deer down. This is a time we look forward to every year not only for the great hunting but for the great memories we make. This was the first buck my Uncle has shot with a bow in probably 5 years, you won't believe what he was doing when it showed up! Any of you had that happen to you before? Finally, after getting blanked last year I was thrilled to get this doe on the ground. Just wish the camera didn't mess up on the focus! Also, I was curious on your guy's thoughts on shooting does during the rut? Hope you like the video!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. gswartz

gswartz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to watching the video. As for taking does during the rut, I think it depends on the general doe population in that area. If there are plenty around I'd take one but if there are only a couple (as in one spot I hunt), I'd be afraid to take any because of the possibility of lessening the lure for the bucks.

3. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice video. I gotta ask you, how else do u use your go pro for bowhunting. The reason i ask id because i use one.

4. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Nice video, great footage. Why does the doe seam to look green when it should be white?

Beefie

5. Weekend Woodsmen

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest for what we want, it isn't good for capturing the footage of the deer. Everything looks too small if it is outside of say 10-15 yards. For the shot of this doe, we actually had a head mount on, and it was supposed to be recording just to give a second angle from behind the bow, but the camera was being fussy and didn't turn on. We have since sent it back for a new GoPro (customer services is fantastic). Bottom line for using a GoPro for hunting, is it is great for secondary shots (B-Roll), tracking, and second angles on the hunter, but it is tough to get real good video for deer at any distance. This is our first year incorporating the GoPro into deer hunting so we are still playing around with its best use ourselves. There are other great applications of the GoPro though. For instance, in our fishing videos we use the GoPro for the primary shots and the hand held camera for the secondary shots. Also, same deal for waterfowl hunting...it is fantastic for that. If you want to see what I mean we have walleye and Goose video from 2014 on our channel to see what it works great for, and then there is a Turkey hunt from 2014 that highlights why it isn't great for hunting at any distance (bird was at 30 yards). Obviously, these aren't bowhunting applications, but it highlights what I am describing.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never consider shooting a doe before a buck. Then again I only get 1 tag a year.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice video.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the success! Nice Video

9. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer.

10. Weekend Woodsmen

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, if I only had one tag we definitely wouldn't be shooting does. In Ohio we get early doe tags that are good before gun season. In the past we had passed on does during the rut waiting for bucks to come, and then we ate the tag, and also didn't have any bucks come! So, this year we were looking to shoot unless they looked nervous or antsy. Thanks to everyone for their congrats and their thoughts on shooting does!

11. Weekend Woodsmen

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! We had been having some trouble with the GoPro, so I don't know if it was that, or just the sun threw the white balance off. Most likely the latter. It really annoyed me when I watched it and I spend a bunch of time trying to fix it with the color corrector in the editing software, but no dice.

12. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Thanks for the response back. I am doing a little recording of my hunts and just wanted to no for my own videoing. There is a lot to do if your self filming I like to watch and learn. Thanks again.

Beefie

13. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice... congrats

14. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cool video, thanks for sharing. Congrats to your uncle on the nice buck as well.

15. Weekend Woodsmen

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. My uncle getting one is one of those where you are happier than if you got it yourself. He has had a lot of struggles bow hunting, but is always willing to spend the time going out there with us, so it is nice to see it pay off!