2 blade or 3 blade

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mississippi hoyt shooter, Feb 6, 2017.

1. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been a fixed blade guy but want to try some mechanical heads. I've narrowed it down to rage chisel tip, but I'm torn between the 2 or 3 blade need some insight. I'm shooting a Hoyt nitrium at a 28 inch draw and a 430 grain arrow and 60 pounds. Thx

2. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I havent shot the rage mechanical but I have shot the 2 & 3 blade by shwacker. I got a complete pass through on both of my deer and hog. Honestly i think the 3 blade provided way more blood than my 2 blade. I am thinking about making the switch to the NAP spitfire XXX this season though, looks pretty nasty IMO.... My buddy shoots the rage 2 blade and that's all he swears by lol. Its all going to be personal preference my man.

3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With the lower poundage I would go with the 2 blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with 2 blades. I am a former Rage user that made the switch to the Muzzy hybrid. No blade retention system and 4 blades.

5. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 blade Rage chisel tips are excellent!!
    I have used the 3 blade, but prefer the 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. swh5536

swh5536 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  7. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a 2 blade man myself. The chisel tip is a great head and made even better with the retention collar. I've only had stellar results with Rage 2-blades. The original 2-blade, the chisel tip, and the Hypodermic.

I also like the Killzone and had great results with it. In my experience the retention mechanism of the Killzone is probably the best, but I did have some heads that did not seem to lock the blades closed properly. It did produce a smaller entry hole than the Rage for me.

8. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Killzone I used last year they worked great on the target but didn't get a shooter to see the results

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on what you are hunting. For deer any one of the heads you mentioned will be fine.

10. kahneyjd

kahneyjd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I still use the original rage 2" 2 blade and have very good results. Shooting from a Hoyt Spyder 30 60# 29" dw and 450ish grn arrow. Excellent results with them.

11. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've bowhunted for 40 years, but am pretty new to mechanical BH's due to a sincere bias against them for the longest time. This past season I traded for a pack of NAP Spitfire (3 blade) for the purpose of turkey hunting this spring. On a whim, I put one in my deer hunting quiver and ended up shooting a few deer with Spitfires this fall......man are the destructive! Watch out tom turkey.....:bow:

12. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your bow settings are similar the mine, but my IBO is about 345 so I'm pushing my arrows at about 290 fps. I shot the NAP Spitfire Maxx's with Trophy Tip. Got pass-thrus on both deer I shot. I think the 1-3/4" cut helps with penetration a little better than a 3" and it's less likely to be compromised by bone or cartilage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Either one should be fine. If I had to choose one it would be the 2 blade. I shot them a few years back and the 2 blade chisel tip performed well for me.

14. Velvetbuck

Velvetbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot g5 t3s there a great broadhead and fly awesome and leave great entrance and exit holes. I don't care for mechanicals that have o rings I've had alot of trouble with them when they get to cold and freeze they become brittle and break. I like the t3s cause they use a retention spider clip that you can tune to your liking. But this is my opinion and my experience of using 2 or 3 blades with o rings. There are alot of great heads out there the nap line is really good to I've used the kill zones and spitfires and they work great I just like a smaller profile head like the t3.

15. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like a two blade myself.