2-4DB info needed

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, May 27, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is to you farmers. I have some for use on legumes and hay type plots. Now I know it will have some residual effects especially on turnips and I believe beets.
    My concern is, I swear I read that it can damage fruit trees specifically. I'm not talking by mist but root damage. I swear I read this but can't remember where. My many differently worded searches has not turned that up . I have a major weed issue amongst my fruit and nut trees, but also have some great clovers and some alfalfa. So I'd like to spray on a no wind morning. BUT not if I could damage those trees.
    So you farm guys have some helpful advise?

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Contact a manufacturer of the product.

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I know, just figured I'd try to get someone with actual knowledge to help first. Over the years I've found your suggestion to be....a crap shoot.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use to do a lot of spraying when I was younger and worked for a guy with a lot of property that needed weed control.
    He had me use one of two sprays: Roundup for a kill everything spray, and a mix of 2-4D and Banvil (probably about 80% 2-4D and 20% Banvil) for a broadleaf spray (it could be used in your yard since it only attacked broadleaf plants.
    He told me that dirt neutralizes Roundup and was fine to use at the base of trees, but that I absolutely should not ever spray the 2-4D around trees as it was not neutralized by dirt and it could attack the roots.

oldnotdead and Fix like this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks that is what I thought I had read.