1st year hunting with my Recurve. And tips?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Beetle Bailey, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been only hunting compound archery for over 10 years now. I’ve been shooting longbows and recurves instinctively for off and on for around 20 years (recently 3 times a week for the past year).
    Just trying to find out any tips and tricks with a recurve that you don’t normally experience with a short ata compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried last year. After many failures, including missing a buck of a lifetime, I bought a halon lol. Best advice I can give is don’t hunt out of a tree stand ha. I really think that’s what my problem was. I could shoot 5” groups at 30 yards very consistently and kept it 25 and under on deer. I was either over or under them everytime. A known traditional hunter told me my problem was the tree stand. I think if I would have stuck with it I would have used log jams to my advantage. My mind just wasn’t right for it. I’d get buck fever and just couldn’t pick a spot. Do everything you can to pick a spot and keep yourself calm man. Good luck.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

3. Beetle Bailey

Dislikes Received:
    Kyle Rayburn likes this.
  4. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It shouldn't take you long to adjust to a longer bow, just take it into consideration and clear anything that might be in the way.. You're shooting instinctive so you know about picking a very small spot and focusing on it. It's too easy to look at the entire deer and that just won't work. Don't forget to shoot your bow during the hunting season to stay accurate.. You've bowhunted before so you already know what to do, it's not much different.. Just keep your shots closer would be my main advise. Good luck and have fun.

Chris

early in and Beetle Bailey like this.
  5. Beetle Bailey

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I’ve been shooting just about every day. Even if it’s just one arrow. I have the will and patience. Hopefully I have the skill and luck to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums