Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

1st timer Nebraska

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by rockinrod12, Mar 20, 2016.

1. rockinrod12

rockinrod12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to head to Ne for the 1st time this year. Ive been looking at maps of public land but having a hard time deciding where to head having never been there. Any suggestions would be great. I'm not picky about whether its a merriam, hybrid or eastern if It gobbles Ill shoot it. I'm mainly after the experience of out of state hunting to see if its something Id like to try for deer also. I will ask permission for access to private also. And I will be bowhunting only.

2. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunting is pretty good up near the public land near chadron from what I have heard. I do not know specifics but it is something to look into. I personally have hunted around Lincoln on public land and have done well, but it can be a hit or miss because of other people hunting. I think in the eastern half of the state if you ask around you will find somewhere to hunt for private, especially since you are bowhunting. The western half has quite a few leased areas along the rivers, which is where a majority of the turkeys are. Lake Mcconaughy also has some decent hunting on the south side, but with water being high right now a lot of land is covered with water where turkeys would usually be. In general for most of the public land if it is before shotgun season starts you will have good opportunities, after you may have trouble finding birds that aren't highly educated. What dates are you looking at? Any specific questions?

3. rockinrod12

rockinrod12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about Chadron, but am worried everybody else is heading that way to. I'll be heading out there March 31st till the 3rd or 4th. Hopefully since it's still bow only at that time it won't be to crowded.

4. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shotgun starts on the 9th this year I think. I think you will not see much for people with it not being open weekend, and not shotgun season. Goodluck!