Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

1st Michigan confirmed CWD case

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MechDoc, Aug 29, 2008.

1. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  2. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Im feeling your pain from the EHD out break we had last season:cry: It really rears its ugly head. good luck!!

4. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boy, I'll tell you, hope that DNR there does'nt screw it up royally like they have here. The DNR has screwed the hunting season here for the past 6-7 yrs that it's unbelievable. Every year, new rules, new zones, new quotas. There's a rumor going around that all this CWD control is being funded by the insurance companies. They are funding the DNR w/very large contributions to cut the number of deer down, thereby reducing the cost of paying out on deer/car accidents. Colorado has had CWD since 67' & initially took the same tactics of trying to eradicate the deer. After decades, they realized it's just not going to happen. I hope Michigan takes a hard look at the fiasco going on here, & choose a different method. The math does'nt even add up. Our DNR says there are 1.5 million deer in the state. Every year the average deer harvested in around 350/400,000, w/600,000 hunters in the woods. If there are just 500,000 does impregnated & drop 2 fawns each, that number will never get to where they want it. All they have done is decimated herds & quality bucks in the CWD areas. But it has NOT stopped the disease from spreading. You all in Michigan better voice your opinions now before you end up like us. This yr we have 4 gun seasons. Youth hunt followed by anterless only in OCT, reg. gun season in Nov, followed by an anterless stated wide hunt in Dec, muzzle loader season, & another gun hunt in Dec/Jan. Bow hunting is going to be very early & then very tough. Good luck to you guys out there.

5. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeh if the Michigan DNR can screw something up you had better know they will. We all are happier than heck they put on a ban on baiting we just wish it didn't take this to do it. Now if we can get earn a buck I might not have to go out of state to hunt big deer. But on a side note I do feel for all the farmers that tilled planted fertilized and now harvested all there goodies for the baiters and now after spending all that money is told nope no bait!!!!Walt

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    No kidding Hank and the thing that kills me is that it will ramin in the soil and nothing they can do about that.