Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

1st case of CWD in Indiana

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 0317, Apr 5, 2024.

1. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    crap !!

Dear Indiana hunter,

Indiana DNR has confirmed the state’s first positive case of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in an adult male white-tailed deer harvested in LaGrange County. CWD is a fatal infectious disease, caused by a misfolded protein called a prion, that affects the nervous system in white-tailed deer. It can spread from deer-to-deer contact, bodily fluids, or through contaminated environments and remains in the soil for many years.

The sample for this case was collected by a licensed taxidermist through DNR’s CWD Taxidermist Incentive Program. CWD has previously been detected in the four states bordering Indiana (Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Kentucky) and is now found in 33 states. Because CWD had been detected in Michigan near the Indiana border, a detection in LaGrange County was likely.

There have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that hunters strongly consider having deer tested before eating the meat. The CDC also recommends that you do not eat meat from an animal that tests positive for CWD.

Indiana DNR’s CWD response plan is based on the latest scientific information about the effectiveness of CWD management options. Currently, there are no management actions that have been shown to cure deer of CWD, prevent deer from getting CWD, stop or significantly slow the spread of CWD, or eradicate it from the deer herd. Therefore, our plan focuses on monitoring the spread of the disease to inform Indiana residents how they can safely navigate CWD’s presence.

DNR’s management efforts will NOT focus on eliminating CWD from the deer population in this area of LaGrange County since the disease is self-sustaining in nearby populations, making elimination unlikely.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the club, was only a matter of time.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got that notice from the DNR today as well. It will be interesting to see how the DNR handles it. I just hope they don't go into panic mode like we saw in some other states.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the email says they will only monitor, no elimination .... its in that magic 4 county NE corner that borders Mich. (who had it first, and prolly where this came from (?) )....... those 4 counties usually have the highest kill numbers in the state, over 2000 to 3000+ per county yearly ...

2023 season
    Lagrange - 2953
    Noble - 2963
    Dekalb - 2401
    Steuben - 3453

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was part of discussions back during Joe Caudell's first term (he is now back haver Moriah left) and they even then were discussing how snipers and attempted mass slaughter has done nothing. Truth be told I think most states have discovered short of someone finding a cure there isn't anything we can do other than perhaps be more strict on testing just just to isolate and track how dense it is and make people aware.

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the approach that Indiana DNR is taking with CWD. Wisconsin could learn something.

0317 likes this.
  7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be interested to see how Indiana continues to approach this. Here in PA, we have quite a few counties with widespread cases, mostly in our southern tier. The PA Game Commissions response? Wipe out all deer within designated areas. They just released thir 24-25 seasons and limits and we now have a 16 day rifle doe season in January in select management units to curb the spread... smh.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    They're just taking a page from our playbook here in IL.

"Two weeks to slow the spread!". I'm surprised they don't have mask mandates and social distancing plans too.

muzzyman88, 0317 and Sota like this.
  9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not privy to what IL did. Its crazy to me how PA is handling not only this, but other aspects of their deer management program. With this two additional week doe season, we will now have a month of rifle doe hunting. PA has a TON of deer, no doubt about it, but I can't see how shooting does in the middle of january is going to end well. Wonder how many shed bucks will be whacked?

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    once its in the soil, its in the soil for good ......Ive never understood why the kill 'em all method is even a good idea ..