Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So for some reason I have always wanted a 1911, I have a $250 Cabelas gift card so I figure that is a coupon. Should I go with the Colt? This gun probably won't be carried usually just transported or kept in the nightstand when I am out of town. Is there something better than the Colt?

mikey custom-g likes this.
  2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Remington R1 and have no complaints. It's on the lower price scale, think I paid around $600. Been a great shooter. I have heard the Sig Sauer is a great gun and have many options, but definitely a higher end of price. My cousin has one and loves it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said I want a 1911 but as soon as I talk about getting a new handgun my wife is going to want one too and I am not so sure that a 1911 45 would be that easy for her to work. I looked at the Remington too and pondered not like I am going to shoot a lot.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    can't really go wrong with any higher-end 1911, but as the saying goes

"A Kimber is what you show your friends,
    a Glock is what you show your enemies."

Seeing as you want a 1911-style; can't do much better than a Kimber.

WillO likes this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Noodles good info I think I will head to Cabelas to see what they will do.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I see Browning did not make the list I saw a Browning 1911 in 380 thinking if would be easier for the wife to handle, but I am pretty sure she can handle it.

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes what dnoodles said. I meant to say Kimber was the gun my cousin had, not the Sig. The Kimber is a great looking gun, but definitely a higher price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All my shot guns are Remmingtons kinda leaning that way unless Colt or Kimber has a better deal or upgrade.

10. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sota, a .380 ain't much.
    Can't help you with the rest.

BB1 likes this.
  11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As I have previously mentioned, I'm a 1911 fanatic. I have multiple brands. 15523498825267969362743083831131.jpg This Rock Island is my daily carry and for the price it cannot be beat. Get the Hogue grips and you'll be good to go.

jstephens61 likes this.
  12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have both Kimber and Glock in the safe and both trade places on my waist. (and maybe a couple of others)
    I like all of my handguns but would highly recommend the Kimber.

13. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own several 1911’s. A colt Officers Stainless in 45 that I carried since the mid 80’s. Bulletproof!!

Just bought 2 Kimber .45’s. A step larger than the Officers I’d classify as Colt Commander size and a .45 Kimber pocketlite, my new carry.

Also I bought a Colt Delta Elite Stainless in 10MM. I gotta day after so many years of being a naysayer, 10MM is the sheeeeeeet ! I’ve anchored wild boar that my 45 needed follow up shots. Outrageous penetration. I carry it bow hunting now for bear defense.

I’m going to get another 1911 , 10MM hopefully this year. Dan Wesson is high on the list. I Googled the top rated 10MM and maybe I might buy 2 more 10mm’s

Rock Island Armory seems like a lot of fun for the money and ofcourse the classic Wilson Combat hot rod over priced works of art.

I own 2 Kimbers and personally I think they are too tight and the Colt blows them both away for dependability. Workmanship, the Kimber is awesome. Trigger , slide etc. but I’ve had jams.

https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-10mm-pistols-handguns/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okiebob likes this.
  14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Next on my list. Converted a 1911 to 400 Corbon but I am now sure the 10mm is the ticket.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't own one myself but guy down at rqnge had a s&w 1911 e series. He let me put few rounds down and it was pretty nice shooter. Seemed pretty smooth, other thna that can't help ya much ha. Couple buddies have kimber and they're always pretty nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    my old man competes with the RI 10mm custom. He loves it.

Sota, as far as being a gun your wife can "handle"; you might as well get a 1911 in at least 9mm. With all that steel wouldn't recoil hardly a bit. Even a .45 isn't bad with a 5" + barrel.

However, 1911s in any caliber generally tend to have stiffer slide springs than your average striker-fired semi-auto of the same caliber. Just something to think about. Most men don't think 2x about racking a slide, but it's typically tougher on women's typically smaller wrists.

If you're dead set on a 1911, and you want it to be wife-friendly I'd say a 9mm with aggressive slide grooves front and back is your ticket.

Something that looks like this S&W-

S&W .45.jpg

and no, that's not mine, although I wish it was. I'd never post a pic of any firearm I personally own.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a springfield range officer compact. It has a 4 inch barrel and is comfortable for carrying. It's my favorite of the hand guns I own.

Artem256 and dnoodles like this.
  18. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO a 45 1911 is easier to handle than a 9mm single stack carry gun (Shield, glock 43, lcp, etc). The extra weight really helps recoil.

carbon-arch, Okiebob and dnoodles like this.
  19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
  20. jakebrake

jakebrake Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I carried 1911's forever. My main carry gun was a Springfield trp in stainless. I vacillated back and forth between that and a Kimber Eclipse in 10 m m. At one point towards the end of my 1911 addiction, I had picked up a Dan Wesson. For some reason, I had more aggravation with that gun, than any of the other 1911's I owned. I did have a colt in 9 mm, and honestly, was not that overly impressed with it. The Colts of today, seem to share very little in common with the Colts of way back when. I believe that is part of the reason why Colt is having the financial problems that they have been having. They put all their eggs in the 1911 basket, and never really bothered to care that much about them. You cannot go wrong with a colt honestly, however, for the money, Springfield is a much better gun to look at. The Smith & Wesson E-Series is nice, but at the same time, there is just something about an external extractor on a 1911 that I find mildly offencive. That is just my opinion.