15 yd shot at a deer walking directly away from you, Would you Shoot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Salbo, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Salbo

Salbo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    75 % effected, even the prefect shot hold a 25% of not killing. This forum is littered with misses with the prefect shot.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol where's that stat from?

3. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So in 15 years you have only shot at 4 deer and found 3 of them?.... Man I would take up a new hobby if I failed 80% of the time....

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually if you make a perfect shot, you'll have 100% recovery. Someone MISSING a perfect shot is the same as you MISSING your horrible shot. We are only talking about how likely it is that the arrow hits where it needs to to kill the animal. On a quartering or broadside shot the area to place an arrow doubles, triples, or even quadruples that which is offered by a straight away shot from an elevated position.

Guys like you really aren't even worth the breath of explaining your questionable decisions to though, to be honest. You won't listen no matter what is said, eventually you will lose ANOTHER deer to this shot selection, and then we are back to square one.

Your call on what shot to take, do what you want just don't come crying on here for tracking help down the road when your arrow "somehow traveled along the deer backstrap/loin"

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would take the shot and I would also shoot into brush, I mean "What if" and I mean "What if" the arrow doesn't hit any branches and hits the mark? Either way, everyone knows the arrow is going to break some of the twigs in the way and possibly hit the deer.
    I mean it’s not about killing the deer; it’s taking a shot at the deer, right? Plus, if you don't shoot it someone else will. I don't need the meat I just want the bone anyways, so if the yotes get to it first and I still find the antlers then it’s a Win for me. Plus I get an extra boost of confidence with all the booze I drink in my stand without wearing a safety harness. Don’t worry no one will catch me, because I hunt at night with night vision goggles.
    On another note if I don’t see anything I just get up the next morning and ride around on my 4 wheeler , until I kick one up and shoot the deer with my gun then stick an arrow through the hole. This method always yields results.

6. Salbo

Salbo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for proving my point.

7. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    welcome! :D :wave:

8. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stuff happens I've takin a bad shot or two thats what hours and hours on stadn not seeing deer will do to a person. Try to learn from our mistakes is the best we can do. Not one "REAL" bowhunter doesn't have at least one blemish on his arrow.

9. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats true... but that is the difference between us, and fools like salbo. We try to learn from our mistakes, while people like him just try to justify them.

10. Karnak

Karnak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Salbo,

Correct me if I'm wrong but the premise of your original post was to ask of this communities opinion was it not? So you asked for it and you got it REGARDLESS of what it is. Your narrow-mindedness is shocking, you didn't get the response you wanted so you stereotype the forum to inexperienced fools that are victims of propaganda.

With that said I'll say this, if you wanted opinions you got them so go about your way, if you wanted someone to comfort you for a questionable call you made go to a therapist or significant other not the Internet.

/rant

11. jeepinxj

jeepinxj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A straight on shot five you a area of 8 inches. A broadside shot gives you atleast 24 inches, is that fact enough for you!??? You do as you please but you are a moron for fighting the facts and opinions that you asked for. All I know is you are the exact reason some hunters get a bad name. Congratulations on making a ****ty shot and getting lucky.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here ya go, its a very small percentage kill shot. The effective kill target is quite small. And, if you do miss the spine and get lucky enough to run it up into the chest, you will at best get one lung and no chance at the heart on a straight away shot. A one lung hit is a tough recovery, IF it kills the deer. So, now you have been given quite a few facts from several guys about why its a horrible shot choice. If you want to argue further, you will be proving that you really dont care to hear the truth, or that you already knew the truth and just wanted some attention.

13. Salbo

Salbo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First of all, I didn't put up this thread for approval or attention. I put it up more for curiosity. I don't need any Fantasy forum land for approval. There is a big difference in opinion and ATTACKING. If you noticed I left the opinions alone and only defended the attackers. The only approval I need is from my State Officials and the non-hunting residents. Both of which don't really care how you kill deer. I hunt in an Archery ONLY area which is the regular season where deer have over run the entire area. The non-hunting residents know exactly what you are up to, so you tell me who is doing more of a disservice to hunting. You guys spend to much time in this la la land world, the non-hunting community knows damn well that bowhunters only want the Big Bucks and are not concerned about killing deer. This is the REAL world not the industry created fantasy. I have 29 years experience and killed more deer than most of you dream of. Yea, I'm a smart ass or so-called troll. But when you kill over 100 deer than I may submit. Seems like you all sit in the woods for 10 years waiting for the industry created fantasy,"The buck of a life time", make that prefect shot and come back here and swear this is the only effective shot. Next time you pass up any deer, lets hope it doesn't cross a road and cause any Property damage of worst injure or kill some body.
    Bowhunting is an extension to the regular season (gun season) to kill and control deer, not so the bowhunting industry can make tons of money off of it. You guys need to get a better prospective of this and get into the real world.
    BTW I have plenty of trophies, so getting any approval from fantasy land is the least on my mind.

14. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed over 101.5 deer, so nah, nah, nahnahnah! :hail:

15. jdweim

jdweim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wow you act like no bowhunters take does or antlerless deer, I have been watching the forum and have seen plenty of Does harvested by people on this site and I for one would be plenty happy to take a doe

16. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder how many more deer you've wounded in those 29 years than the one we are hearing about? I'm betting a lot.

Your views are more twisted than perhaps any bowhunter I've ever met or heard about.

17. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what the guy is but he is definately not a bowhunter! He just happens to hunt with one.

18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where, exactly, have you posted any facts stating this is a "good shot"?

So, let me get this straight...group think is NEVER right? The vast majority of the world believes that killing people "just because you feel like it" is a bad thing. I'm guessing you must think it's okay to kill anyone you want for any reason, simply because the "group" thinks it's a bad idea.

When you take a walking away shot on a deer, the best you can hope for is to miss the spine and somehow get through to vitals. How is this a good shot, by any definition? Are you hoping to hit the spine and break it's back so it's paralyzed, laying there in pain until you can get set up to take a more appropriate vitals shot? Do you really think that's a good shot?

Please, all I'm asking is that you explain to me exactly how this "straight away" shot is a good one.

19. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you said you were 3 for 4 on killing deer with the spine shot.... but you have killed 100 deer? why didnt you take a spine shot on the other 97 kills? You said that a spine shot is not hard for you so why don't you take it more often?....

Maybe you should remember what you type lol

20. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :spam:

We need a troll smiley thingamajig