15 yd shot at a deer walking directly away from you, Would you Shoot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Salbo, Nov 2, 2011.

1. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It has nothing to do with industry propaganda. It has to do with being a repetitively successful and responsible hunter. Taking terrible shots is not how you do it.

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a difference between shooting at a deer to kill it, versus shooting at a deer to put an arrow in it.

3. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This should be plastered in bold print at the top of this website. ;)

4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    C'mon Vito! Let that dog off the leash!

5. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely!!! Why on earth would you just go in the woods and fling arrows? Any bum can do that, but it takes more than that to be a responsible hunter, and especially a role model or teacher to the young ones we are showing the ropes of bow hunting to.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

6. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, just can't stop myself! So do you also take sound shots?

that was tarruble!:whip:

7. tc3144

tc3144 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't even take that shot during gun season.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only vehicles should be the cause of wounded deer, not poor shot choices by hunters. If every hunter would practice with their weapon, take shots they should and never force one that is questionable the hunting world would be a better place. It's guys that take questionable shots that cast a shadow over all of us! I wouldn't take the shot, and would hope if you call yourself a hunter you wouldn't either.

9. Salbo

Salbo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, it is back to experience and not what some industry says. I've Killed 3 deer with a spine shot, so it isn't a low percentage shot for me. Again Sh.t happens that you do not intended to happen. We all shoot within our limitation. Most of you guys probably have a need for speed with your light arrows but it does nothing for penetration, hence your prefect broadside shot.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From ground level, I actually do know a few very accomplished deer hunters that take the texas heart shot. Obviously from a tree stand the angles would be so terrible that it's not even an option (nor is it on ground level for me but knowing anatomy I can see how this shot is an extremely lethal shot)

11. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's nothing to do with the industry. It has to do with what every responsible bowhunter knows to be right.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was pulled over for speeding last year, I found a $50 bill in my glovebox while scrambling for the registration papers. Now anytime I am short on cash, I simply floor it on a busy road in hopes of getting pulled over. After all, it worked the first time right?!

There is a difference in stuff happening that you do not intend and it working out ok luckily, and intending for that outcome the next time. If you purposely take the walking away shot in hopes of clipping the spine, it would no longer qualify as stuff happening that you didn't intend to happen. lol

But don't take my word for it, I'm a college punk who is still wet behind the ears and don't know squat!:moose:

13. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying this on the way home. Daddy needs some new waders.

14. Militaryhunter

Militaryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

And this is why hunters have a bad name....The goal of the hunt to make an ethical, quick, clean Kill. While attempting the shot you described it is a low percentage and unethical shot. It is the responsibility of the hunter to ensure the quick clean harvest of the animal. I doesn't matter how good you think you are it is purely luck if you make a spine shot and animal dies quickly. I do understand that crap happens....I have seen guys take a broadside shot from a tree-stand and inadvertently end up hitting the spine. The intent was a quick and clean kill but it ended up hitting the spine. So Crap does happen, however taking a shot at deer that is head on of going directly away is not even close to an ethical shot. It doesn't matter if you are hunting for the freezer or for the wall the name of the game is make a quick, clean and ethical shot

15. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly!!

We owe it to the animals that we pursue, to make the most ethical shot possible, any hunter worth his salt knows that. If you take enough marginal shots, you are going to have some hit home, and based off of your posts you are 3/4 on spine shots and to me that is a very high percentile of lost deer (25%). As a hunter our Goal should be 100% on harvesting our deer, and anything less we should be disappointed, and not asking if anyone would take a VERY low percentage shot.

16. jdweim

jdweim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%

17. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

:lol::lol::lol:

18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And you apparently have a need for approval and did not get it. You may need to look for affirmation somewhere else or not ask for opinions that arent likely to suit your ideals, however skewed they may be.

19. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A one in four chance for failure is your idea of a high percentage shot? No wonder dumb**** happens that you do not intend to happen.

20. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch is right. We already have enough members that ask questions, don't get the answers they want, and then try to tell everyone they are wrong.

Sorry, we're full.

Disclaimer: This is purely my view and it does not reflect the opinion of the bowhunting.com community, or any of its affiliates.