<14***** team dirty birds *****14>

Discussion in '2013 Turkey Hunting Contest' started by NebBowhunter, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning scouting. At least 5 gobblers in one small 3 to 4 acre block and just as many in the next block less than a half mile down the road.
    DSCN0996.jpg DSCN0997.jpg DSCN0998.jpg DSCN1000.jpg DSCN1001.jpg
    Of course, they are going to be really hened up. These photos don't show half the birds in these two fields.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Looks like you're in the right place man.

3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great, I see a good spot for a blind!

4. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great scouting guys. You guys are getting me excited to get out and catch up and just get to the level of all you. Season is open but with all Easter commitments I won't be out until Monday morning. Good luck to everyone.

5. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I saw several good spots for a blind. Now I have 4 or 5 friends to fight for those spots and they gun hunt those birds.

6. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out to the farm tonight. Il check a few cameras & get my gear ready for tomorrows hunt! Hoping to get us on the board this weekend.

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this weekend to all that are hunting. I'll be in the blind Sunday and Monday.

8. NebBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got out a couple times last week with no luck. I was on the birds but Toms just weren't responding. Shotgun starts this weekend so I wont get out to the woods but will try again later in the week . Good luck to all.

9. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey fellas, I shot a jake yesterday morning and will try to "upgrade" next weekend. He weighed 18 lbs and only had 3/8" spurs and a four inch beard. I'm waiting on my son to send me a picture off his camera so I can post it. I'm on the board and had a great time! Just wanted to let you all know.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  10. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats JGD, way to put us on the board.

11. NebBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great Job JGD. Getting us on the board right off the bat. Post a picture here also so we can all see your success.

12. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The pics are on my son's camera and he is on the road for a couple of days. As soon as he sends them to me I'll post them and enter them on the board.

13. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been updating much, I've been busy with school. Congrats JGD on the Jake! I hope you're able to put another one down!

I went out last weekend, heard lots of gobbles early in the morning about 250 yards away from my blind. I then had 4 hens come into my decoys and they hung around for a bit. I think things in my neck of the woods are just heating up, finally getting some warmer weather and greener fields! I'll be hunting May 3rd-5th again.

Here are a few photos from the trail camera & afield-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 633.jpg
      633.jpg
      File size:
      109.7 KB
      Views:
  14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey those are some great pics! Here's the jake i got with my son. I'm not sure but it might be on the Bowhunt or Die show in upcoming weeks. I know my son's will be. He is on team 7.[​IMG]

15. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    Saweeeet!

16. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a great day today! Didn't kill a bird but had lots of action. Birds were gobbling all over the place at first light. I set up on a couple and put out a hen and jake decoy and started calling. A huge bird slipped in silently on my left side but stayed out at 40 yards and never gave me a shot. I left the decoys there to move up on another gobbling tom and set up 100 yards from him. He answered my calls but wouldn't come any closer than 70 yards. I headed back to the decoys and on the way back I heard some toms fighting and crept to within 50 yards. There were three birds and two were fighting and there weren't even any hens around. The third tom busted me and they left the area. I grabbed the decoys and my pack and went after another gobbling bird. I set up 200 yards (roughly) from the bird and started calling. It took 45 minutes to get him to 60 yards and then he left for another hen/tom making noise up on a distant ridge. Finally, after having lunch, I went after a gobbler that was making a racquet and he must have heard me setting up my decoy and left. One last set up and I called a hen into bow range! It was a great day. I left at 4:30 am and drove the 130 miles to my spot. I may go again in the morning; better get to bed its 12:10 pm! Good luck to you all.

17. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning and it was a completely different scenario. No birds gobbling on the roost. I heard two toms gobble 45 minutes into my hunt but they were a long way off. The only bird I saw was a hen on my walk back to the truck. We were on the same trail and got 15 yards apart before we saw each other. It was a super nice day. I saw 15 deer as well.

18. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you're in a good spot, just gotta wait for the opportunity!

19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How's everyone else doing?

20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I gave it another go today but no luck. Set up on a couple gobblers fresh off the roost and we talked to each other for an hour. I called sparingly just to let them know I was still around. When they started moving off I followed them over a ridge and heard one in the bottom of the next draw but it was moving away. I returned to my original area, set two new Covert cams out and started to leave when I heard a gobble from my original set up. I really believe that bird came in to my calling a full hour after I left. I was setting up my decoy and he came up out of the bottom and must have busted me because he never spoke again. He was pretty close when he last gobbled. Don't know when I'll go again probably next Friday although I might get out once more this weekend. Saw a group of 5 deer but couldn't tell does from bucks with no antler growth yet. Good luck fellas.