101st Minor Limb Damage...Safe to Press?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MGH_PA, Sep 23, 2008.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I ran into an unfortunate circumstance with my 101st only two weeks from the PA opener. I won't bore you with my stupidity, but if you missed the post on HNI, here's a link:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3051260&mpage=1

However, thanks to Scott (buckeye), I will be installing new(er) limbs as replacements to my damaged top limb. First, to remove the E-clips, should I relax the limbs in the press, or can I remove them with the bow unpressed? I was assuming I would have to press it to relax the tension, and if so, I'm worried about the condition of the limb.

Here is a picture of the damage:

[​IMG]

It's only the outer layer of Invelvet, and a bit underneath, but it still worries me if I have to press it. So I suppose my question is this: Do I have to press the bow to remove the axle/cams? If so, can this bow be safely pressed in its' current condition? Thanks, guys.

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you can pop the eclips off as is, atleast you can on my bows....but wont get you anywhere until you press it to take off the cams and slide the axles out. Not really a choice...if the press splinters it more, then so be it...you have to press it(essentially the same as drawing it back in a way)in order to swap the limbs though.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I figured. I assumed you would have to relieve the pressure to slide the axle out even though the E-clip will come out on its own. I'm ok if it splinters more, I just don't want it causing a catastrophic failure. Thanks.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    *Disclaimer* - I'm not responsible if something happens and you get hurt based on my advice - :d

Looking at the pic, if I had this bow, I would personally take 4-5 turns out of each limb bolt to reduce stress on the limbs, and then press it. Once you have the string relaxed pull the axles/cams and then back the press off completely to take all stress out of the limbs. Replace the limbs, and press it again to put the cams/axles back on. Keep in mind, if you have a helper to hold the first cam while you pull it off, you can then pull the other axle/cam assembly and not even lose the tune on the bow. Lay both axle/cam assemblies with the cables all attached on the ground and then you can put them back on exactly like they came off.

I really don't think you would have any further issues to be honest. I have seen limbs in MUCH worse condition than that hold together on a press. If you are really worried about it, after setting the bow in the press and before pressing it, throw a thick blanket over the thing until it's fully pressed, and only uncover the end of the cam as you pull the axle. I personally wouldn't even do that, but this way if something does let go, the blanket will absorb quite a bit of it and prevent flying objects from hitting you.

Just my .02, take if for what it's worth. ;)

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Matt. The tip about the helper is great. So, pulling the cam, cables, and string off in one unit and reinstalling in the same manner will maintain tune in terms of cam synch/timing, correct? I would have assumed since there is some variance in tolerance amongst different limbs, that there would still be subtle changes in the ATA, tiller, etc, which would all require some retuning (even if minor).

Oh, don't worry about the disclaimer, I'm not the suing type:d