#1 thing to do to improve Deers natural habitat??

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sticknstringarchery, May 4, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In your opinion what is the #1 thing that can be done to improve deer natural habitat and hold them on a property?

I have planted a food plot (that I am seeing no activity on yet), created a watering hole from a natural spring I dug out with a backhoe, and created a mineral plot (that is getting a lot of activity this part of the year). I plan on planting some apple trees for the future. I would like to see what everyone else has for ideas to improve their habitats.

2. buckdeer1

buckdeer1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hinge cutting to allow sunlight to areas that aren't currently growing any cover,improving browse by planting shrubs if you are lacking in browse.Planting native grass for cover.Check out qdma.com

3. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hinge cut and stay out...

4. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    What exactly is hinge cutting? I am new to the hunting world and want to do everything I can to be even more successful next season!!
    Last season was my first and I harvested 2. I want to tag out with 6 this year.

5. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like most have said, for me it would be create more bedding areas. I have the food.

6. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I just read a few articles about fringe cutting. I have been doing something similar to this for the past few months and didn't realize it. I have been logging to make some extra cash and will be doing some more for fire wood for the coming winter in the next little while. I have been cutting low to the ground, cutting the big tops out and leaving the tops. sometimes using the Bobcat to push the tops out of the way. The landing area or loading area is now cleared out and will make for a great food plot area of about an acre. I don't think this is exactly the same but it sounds close. I have a couple thick areas I am leaving alone that are full of pines and cedars. They seam to travel allong the edges of these dense areas.

7. buckdeer1

buckdeer1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hinge cutting is where you cut the tree 1/2 way and let it fall and it will stay alive for a couple years and provide browse and cover.This works better on small to midsize trees.I urge you to think about what you said about wanting to fill out and shoot 6 this year.I imagine you are fairly new to hunting and theres nothing wrong with your thoughts,they are natural.But you want to figure your harvest on what your herd can sustain.If there are too many does harvest does.Check out the qdma.com for lots of good info

8. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I have started a qdm program based on the qdma website. One of which is to take more does. I won't take a buck unless he is an older more mature buck. I do not care to chase the big buck yet. I want to get my herd numbers back in shape before I do any buck hunting. Now if that big 140+ steps out, it will be hard not to take him. I know we have too many does. I sat in my stand and watch 17 does cross an opening in 30 min. one morning and then on my way back to the house I saw 5 more. this all about one hour apart. I know this is not the most accurate statement in the world but I have talked to other hunters and landowners in the area and they have said that bucks especially older more mature bucks are rarely ever seen and even less are harvested. So I plan on harvesting does and if the chance arises an older more mature buck. I will not take a young buck this year unless he is injured or is deformed. I am new to the sport but I have been trying to become as educated as I can. On our property it would not be out of the question for anyone to harvest 6 whitetail if the right places are hunted using the right methods. I feel the higher I set the bar the higher my results will be. Do I expect to harvest 6, yes. Do I think I will, If I try and use facts and not assumptions to hunt with yes. We will see. I harvested 2 last year with very little knowledge and it was my first year.